breaker panels: 200A 30/40 vs 40/40

dgeistNovember 27, 2011

I'm looking at two panels from the same company (one of the big ones) and they make two nearly identical panels (200A, convertible main, same neutral and ground layout, bus, etc.).

One is 30 slots with 40 circuits and the other is 40/40. The former is a little cheaper and comes in some useful package kits, and I don't have to mail order it, but the latter has the full 40 spaces.

The question is really this: is there a situation where it would be advantageous to have the 30/40 vs the 40/40 (aside from a tight space). Are there any breaker styles that only fit in the double-gang slots (they would be QO-type, BTW).

Thanks.

Dan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

If cost and space are not an issue, the 40/40 is the way to go.

Bookmark   November 27, 2011 at 9:24PM
bus_driver

On the financial issue, it is possible likely that the 30/40 panel equipped with breakers for the 40 circuits could cost more total than will the 40/40 with breakers for 40 circuits. I have not done the calculations. The tandem breakers are higher cost. And I find higher failure rates of the tandem breakers.

Bookmark   November 29, 2011 at 3:04PM
petey_racer

Darrel, I was FAR from rude or snippy. You're just over sensitive because I called you out on your advertising.

I don't know where you or the OP are shopping, but a 40/40 200A main breaker panel is milk and butter in pretty much every area I can think of. It is HARDLY a "special order" item. And in many places it is the same or even sometimes less for them as opposed to a 30/40 because they sell so many more 40/40's.

Maybe you are talking about a home center? Even though many folks think if a home center doesn't stock something it is rare. That is not even remotely the case.
My local supply houses have piles of 40/40 panels in many varieties.

And thank you Dennis.

Bookmark   December 3, 2011 at 7:02PM
dgeist

I found the 40/40 QO panel at a Lowes across town (normally carried, but no stock elsewhere). I think I'll be happy with the space and the price wasn't much more than the "combo deals" elsewhere. Thanks for the comments.

Dan

Bookmark   December 4, 2011 at 12:51PM
More Discussions
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
drmeow3
ceiling fan, fan works but lights do not
I have 2 kids and one threw a toy that hit one of the...
katy_bug
Looking for Ideas For Lighting at base of 300' long driveway
Sorry for the "picture through the screen"...
dixieman
Crawl Space Junction Boxes: inspection and capping
Hello. I'm in the process of crawl space improvement....
SparklingWater
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?...
rontero
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™