Attaching bulb sockets to lamp cords

amav31November 22, 2009

I want to light up the interior of a big cabinet with just one light. The plan is to drill a hole on the top center, slide a wire(so as to drill a small hole) from the top and then put a socket from the inside. I want a bulb that is just bright enough to light up my 36inch wide cabinet.My questions are regarding the bulbs and their wattage.4 watts is too weak.

1.What base socket should I use to attach it to the cord.

2.Does it matter what cord I buy.?If I want to use a 20watt bulb should I buy a special cord? I am thinking of buying the lamp cord set from Lowes and then buy a socket and a bulb separately.

3.Is it easy to attach the socket to the cord.? I have zero knowledge about wiring or anything electrical.

4.Should I buy c7 or c9 bulbs.Are there any other sockets that can hold other energy efficient bulbs.

I considered many options from string lights to undercabinet puck lights but I finally settled on this otption. This way I can hide the wires.

Thanks in advance for any help and input.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rewire

have you looked at the "puck" led lights at lowes ? They give excellent accent light output and provide a low profile.

Bookmark   November 22, 2009 at 8:20PM
mike_kaiser_gw

I have zero knowledge about wiring or anything electrical.

Then you might want to find a friend who has more electrical experience or hire an electrician.

I'd think rather than trying to rig something up, you'd be better off buying a pre-assembled, plug-in type fixture that will give you the light you want. As rewire suggested, the "puck" type lights are a good choice and commonly available.

Bookmark   November 22, 2009 at 10:39PM
kudzu9

Based on your lack of wiring knowledge and what you described, I can see many ways for this installation to not comply with code, and pose a shock or fire hazard as well. I'm not trying to be insulting or sound superior. I am just trying to keep you safe. Please get some help on this from a knowledgeable friend or an electrician.

Bookmark   November 23, 2009 at 2:25PM
More Discussions
Power to shed
Looking to run one 20 amp circuit to my shed and I'm...
ohio45424
Wireless light switch for switched outlet?
So we have no overhead lighting in any of our bedrooms,...
vikingshelmut
Badly done multi-wire circuits (previous owner strikes again..)
I bought a 1940-ish house last year, for which the...
quahog
Testing a fluorescent bulb
I've got a light box that isn't lighting up when I...
kudzu9
Wiring in a 1 1/2" thick wall cavity
I need to run 12/2 wire thru an existing thin wall....
baker1mich
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™