generator wiring

angler3November 4, 2012

i just purchased a 5500 gen.. shop told me to use 20 amp outdoor box with 20 amp twist. they were out of 30 amp boxes. they told me that it can handle the 30 amp... i am using 10/4 wire with a double breaker rated for 30. my concern is will the 30 amp melt the 20 amp outdoor box. they told me the wiring and size of prongs are the same, the layout is different to distinguish amps. Is this safe and true.

thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

Salesmen are by and large:

1. Ignorant
2. Will lie to make a sale.

Bookmark   November 5, 2012 at 10:05AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jreagan_gw

So the wire from the generator to the 20amp twistlock can handle 30amps. The wire from your 20amp outdoor box back to the breaker panel can handle 30amps. The only things rated 20amp are the twistlock and box. Since the prongs are indeed the same size (different orientation), you might believe that you can get away with it. However, inside that 20amp twistlock receptacle, there may be smaller pieces of copper between the female slots and the screws. Can they handle more than 20amps? I doubt it. That's why they make 30amp twistlocks.

Will it instantly melt if you push 21amps through it for 5 minutes? Probably not. 28amps for 12 hours? Might have a problem.

If you are backfeeding your generator into your breaker box (which I think that is what you are doing), that is very dangerous. It relies on you cutting the main to prevent backfeeding to the pole (and killing your friendly lineman trying to get power back to your house). Try as you might to always remember, you continue to see reports of home owners and linemen getting killed (or worse) with people backfeeding a generator via a plug and breaker.

Bookmark   November 5, 2012 at 2:54PM
More Discussions
Power to shed
Looking to run one 20 amp circuit to my shed and I'm...
ohio45424
Want to save shower recessed light
I have 2 matching recessed lights in my bathroom. One...
africanboy
Grounding Service panel 200amp
Is the new NEC saying to no longer run # 4 copper wire...
Need to Understand GFCI Requirements.
I posted this in the remodeling section, but I think...
homechef59
Inspection Report
Had a gorgeous 1909 house inspected yesterday and don't...
cmae17
Sponsored Products
Hand Towel - CLOVER(GREEN) (HAND TOWEL)
$20.00 | Horchow
CAD Dining Side Chair in White
$169.00 | LexMod
Ariel Platinum Shower Units 59 in. x 87.4 in. x 32 in. Steam Shower Enclosure
Home Depot
Precision ProValu Great Crate Double Door Dog Crate with FREE Pad - Black - 1127
$28.24 | Hayneedle
Limoges Dakota 21-Light Dark Bronze One-Tier Ring Chandelier
Bellacor
Chelsea Home Clark Loveseat - Natural - 257100-LS
$859.99 | Hayneedle
Megan Chrome Two Light Directional Spotlight with White Flat Opal Glass
$39.85 | Bellacor
1-Light Wall Lantern Antique Bronze
PLFixtures
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™