electrical wiring under kitchen island
We recently moved back into our apartment after an extensive renovation that included installing a kitchen island. I noticed belatedly that there is a good 3/8" gap between the base trim of the island and the floor, which makes cleanup annoying of course, but I'm most worried about electrical safety. Peering with a flashlight, I can see bx cables lying directly on the floor beneath the island. The fear is that a large amount of spilled water could electricute someone standing in it and, say, touching the kitchen sink. The outlets on the island itself are GFCI, but that wouldn't affect this situation.
Since noticing this, I shut off power to the island from the circuit breakers (which also shuts off half the kitchen wall outlets). Was this paranoid or prudent? How is the safety of floor level wiring supposed to be assured?
Thanks in advance,