Outdoor circuit not a home run to the panel??

reneophyteNovember 8, 2010

I have a remodel that is about 60% complete. My contractor stopped returning my calls and from what I've heard, threw out his back (that's another story), so I have started finishing up the electrical work he's started.

He had already wired up 2 electrical boxes for outdoor sconces and a flood light. So I installed the fixtures and wired up the switches. When I turned the power back on and tested the new lighting, there was no power.

So I followed the run, (12-2 romex) all the way to the mechanical room. Just as the run crossed into the room above the door, it was cut. There's another identical wire cut at the same place, but I have no idea what it is for.

Why would the contractor not run this circuit all the way to the panel? Isn't it normal for the circuit to be a 'home run' all the way from the panel to the first appliance?

I'm going to hire an electrician to complete the circuit at the panel, but I am curious why he did this. Anyone know?

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terribletom

"I'm going to hire an electrician to complete the circuit at the panel, but I am curious why he did this. Anyone know?"

Theory "A": He's very poor at measuring wire runs?

Theory "B": He's very, very pi$$ed at you.

Bookmark   November 8, 2010 at 5:56PM
smithy123

If he wires like people in my area, he is probably using a box there to connect some hvac equipment ir a re fridgerator or something.

Bookmark   November 8, 2010 at 6:06PM
terribletom

"If he wires like people in my area, he is probably using a box there to connect some hvac equipment ir a re fridgerator or something."

Theory "C": He is a 14-year-old and refugmas HVAC planeroms when solipsolistic funderators wentafine the necessary to GFCI re kluckulates emanating from a Square D huffperator. Reflagellate Stab-Loc at all quantuum trastifiles.

Bookmark   November 8, 2010 at 8:02PM
smithy123

what?

Bookmark   November 8, 2010 at 8:19PM
groundrod

He's just out looking for some unobtanium to finish up the job with.

Bookmark   November 8, 2010 at 8:36PM
smithy123

whatever

Bookmark   November 8, 2010 at 9:06PM
reneophyte

Interesting turn taken on this thread.

I don't think the contractor is PO'd at me. Doing something like that IMO shows low character and lack of professionalism. I really don't think he fits into either category, regardless of what I think was a decent working relationship, and the fact that I paid every invoice the day I got it.

I guess I'll find out when I talk to an electrician. A box is the only thing I came up with initially, but I don't understand why. smithy123 mentioned a fridge, which would make sense...there's no kitchen yet, but I did plan out with him were all the appliances were going to go.

Thanks for your replies. I appreciate your time.

Bookmark   November 8, 2010 at 10:35PM
pharkus

rofl...

Does the "other cable" that is cut go the opposite direction?

Perhaps your contractor originally planned both of them to be on the same circuit, and a junction box to be installed at the location where they are currently cut.

Bookmark   November 9, 2010 at 3:21AM
More Discussions
electrical outlet distance to radiator
how far from a radiator should a wall electrical outlet...
amsayan
Help with 240V 50A location
I'm trying to do a challenging kitchen layout. I will...
12crumbles
Insulation in electrical box
While in my attic the other day I saw an open electrical...
sgilliatt
Reuse electrical panel
I replaced a 24 circuit Square D panel with a new 40...
zver11
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?...
rontero
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™