How to get oil based paint out of hair...

otis_proamateurSeptember 23, 2008

I've been painting our porch railings and the wind blew the whole front of my hair onto the wet paint. And it's the sticky gooey outdoor stuff that's as nasty to work with as roofing tar.

It's seriously the whole front, I'm facing a possible mullet hair situation if I have to cut the paint out. Anyone know of a way to get oil based paint out of hair. PLEASE.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnmari

Call the manufacturer's customer service line - the number will be on the can. Every paint formula is different and what works perfectly for one may not be the best for another.

Bookmark   September 23, 2008 at 11:14AM
Patricia43

Peanut butter

Bookmark   September 23, 2008 at 11:17AM
otis_proamateur

Thanks a friend just suggested olive oil. If that doesn't work it's on to peanut butter. Thanks again.

Bookmark   September 23, 2008 at 12:08PM
budge1

Because it is an oil based paint, you have to use oil to get it out. That's why people are suggesting things like olive oil and peanut butter. It may be easier to apply something like vaseline that won't drip, but plain vegetable oil will work too if you don't want to waste good olive oil or peanut butter. Good luck!

Bookmark   September 23, 2008 at 12:14PM
valzone5

I once tripped going up the stairs with a can of polyeurathane in my hands and it splashed onto my face and hair. My hair was as hard as a rock. I used baby oil to get it out. It took a few baby oil washings, but it came out. Then it took a few shampoo washings to get the oil out.

Bookmark   September 23, 2008 at 12:14PM
johnatemp

Okay, this is gross. but I once splatted oil based paint all over me. Dh has me use diesel fuel. I don't know that I'd want to put it in my hair, thou.

Smiles:)

Bookmark   September 23, 2008 at 1:29PM
DLM2000

Can't tell you how many times I've done that! Oil paint is easy to get out - paint thinner would be my first choice, then turpentine. Then wash the heck out of it and condition like crazy. And if you color your hair, be prepared - it will strip a lot of the color out, too. I wouldn't waste my time using olive oil or peanut butter, I'd want it out - now.

Bookmark   September 23, 2008 at 1:52PM
otis_proamateur

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I used the olive oil and it took some scrubbing but sure enough, the paint started to slowly flake away. I'm paint free now!

But I've washed my hair twice and the oil is staying put. :::sigh::: I'm washing with Dawn dish soap next. Thanks again everyone, I was starting to panic for a sec.

Valzone5, polyeurathane?! Oh, what a mess. That had to be a nightmare!

Bookmark   September 23, 2008 at 4:03PM
mildredpots

Probably too late for you, but try putting shampoo on DRY hair, work in, then rinse clean

Bookmark   September 24, 2008 at 7:23PM
mildredpots

Sorry...Meant to say to after you get the paint out, to remove the baby/olive oil try putting shampoo on DRY hair, work in, then rinse

Bookmark   September 24, 2008 at 7:27PM
More Discussions
When do bronze window frames work well in the interior of a home?
I'm replacing single plane aluminum windows. My interior...
texasgal47
It's me......
Hi Everybody. It's me. I'm a relatively longtime...
Karen Viscito Interiors
There has been much lighting talk… thought I'd share my new chandy's
We are trying to wrap up our new build. Still a way...
aktillery9
I find myself in this situation more often than not!
I''m a sucker for everything she found! Kitchen design,...
lov_mkitchenIOWA zone 6b
Ellen's Design Challenge final - spoiler alert
Spoilers below -- but, I really want to know the answer. I...
edie_thiel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™