Such thing as a single plug-mold strip?

csk1007November 13, 2012

At Lowes, Home Depot, and online, I can only find 3' and 6' plug mold strips with multiple outlets. I need something very tiny with a single outlet that I can put on the front of my cabinet. The electrical inspector won't budge on not having an electrical outlet every 48" on the counter-top, but there is no place to put it up above. My option is to just have an outlet on the front of the cabinet, but I need something tiny. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Standard outlet?

    Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 5:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Or one of these?

Here is a link that might be useful: HomeSelect

    Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 5:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Is this some kind of island or peninsula or something?

    Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 8:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Standard outlet. Has to be 20a, tamper proof. It's against a wall, and I have a 3 windows that butt-up against the counter-top, so no space to put in outlets. Blame the architect, they designed it that way, and by the time I had the electrical inspector come, he said it wouldn't fly. Way too late to go back.

    Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 3:36AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

I would argue it needs to be on a 20A circuit, it can be a 15A receptacle (provided there are others on that circuit). I'm confused as to why if you can put a single receptacle why a longer piece of plugmold couldn't also be installed (they are available TR by the way).

    Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 4:09AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I doubt that these outlets would ever be used. In my opinion it's pretty ridiculous for the inspector to require this. There are tons of outlets all over the place, there is just a 6' span on one side of one counter-top where there won't be outlets. Now I have to do this song and dance to be able to get 2 extra outlets in the middle of my kitchen.

Since the only way I can do it is by cutting holes into the false panels in front of the sink, I'd rather it be as inconspicuous as possible. A large plug mold is not an option unfortunately.

    Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 3:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Plug mold can easily be cut down to any length desired.

You do not have to use the whole piece

    Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 9:11AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Can you do something like this?

You won't have drawers to hide the outlet, but perhaps you could hinge the false front on the sink cabinet.

    Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 8:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Hmm, I like that idea dekeoboe,

And brickeye, the electrical company said the same thing, I can cut it down however much I need. Thanks!

    Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 9:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The inspector is mistaken. I've run across this before in working with specific state. The truth is, no outlet is required. If you read the NEC, Article 210.52(C)(1) "Wall countertop spaces". The title gives it away. It ONLY applies to countertop which butts up to a wall space.

Article 210.52(C)(1) reads "A receptacle outlet shall be installed at each WALL countertop space that is 12 in. or wider. Receptacle outlets shall be installed so that no point along the WALL line is more than 24 in. measured horizontally from a receptacle in that space.

I verified this in writing by requesting a formal opinion from the NEC. I got an answer from the the chair of the committee pointing out that it only applies to WALL countertop spaces and no formal opinion would be necessary (or given).

Mike Holt in his "Understanding The National Electrical Code - 2008" explained it as "A receptacle outlet must be installed for each kitchen and dining area countertop wall space 1 ft or wider....".

In my specific case, the home was built with cabinets coming down and sitting on top of the countertop. The local AHJ wanted a recept INSIDE the cabinet to cover the 24" space. (The irony is, a recept installed in a cabinet cannot be counted to serve wall space per 210.52(C)(5)).

If there is no wall countertop space place to put a recept, such as windows or cabinets coming down to the countertops, then 210.52(C)(1) does not apply, and no recept is required.

    Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 3:19AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Grounding Service panel 200amp
Is the new NEC saying to no longer run # 4 copper wire...
Confused & need help please
I know just about zero when it comes to electricity....
Same circuit for AC air handler and whole-house fan?
Hi, I've got a furnace/air handler in my attic. I was...
Searching Electrical Wiring board
Is there a way to search the Electrical Wiring board...
Goodbye Phone Jack: what to do with wires?
We want to remove this phone jack. It's in a useless...
Sponsored Products
Villa Patio Umbrella Cover
$7.99 | zulily
Milo Bronze Three-Light Incandescent 120v Mini Bell Jar Pendant with Linear Cano
$360.00 | Bellacor
Icy Shot Glass Mold - Set of 3
$19.99 | Dot & Bo
Software Narrow Zig Zag Giclee Glow Plug-In Swag Pendant
Lamps Plus
Capitol Post & Bracket
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
Jumbo Crayons� Rectangular: 5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Playful Patterns - Childre
$255.95 | Bellacor
Couristan 3080-6813 Five Seasons Cream Indoor/Outdoor Rug Multicolor - 308068131
$19.00 | Hayneedle
Facet Tuscana 9" Wide Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™