question about roman shades

busybee3September 26, 2012

i am changing out our current window treatments in the kitchen and have decided to install roman shades. their purpose is mainly decorative and for light control---i don't have alot of privacy issues.

my dilemma is how to handle the double french doors. i currently have woven wood valances only- at the time when we installed our woven woods, i decided i didn't want the added weight flopping about on a heavily used door. but, i would like more light control now since it is a southern facing door.

i am debating whether to have romans made that are only somewhere between 24-36" long for the doors (their windows are 64" l)so that only the worst light is blocked and less bulk is piled at the top the majority of the time, or just ordering 64" length and very rarely letting them all the way down... opinions???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bronwynsmom

I often make shades that are only as long as I need them to be, for that very reason...too much bulk at the top of things.

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 12:00PM
graywings123

Personally, it would go against my grain to use a shade that couldn't cover the entire window. Would you consider a cornice made with the roman shade fabric and a cellular shade under it?

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 1:26PM
busybee3

hmmm... it does go against my grain too- that's why i'm hesitating. but, after having just a 9" valance since we've been in the house, i think i'm ready for a bit more on the doors all the time... (i picture having 12-15" of shade down all the time...) hadn't thought about cornices/shades- i'll have to figure out how much clearance i have-might not be an option...
glad to hear you've done it browynsmom!! it would be the same look then as my other kitchen windows which appeals to me... i have alittle more thinking to do...

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 6:25AM
likewhatyoudo

I just went through the same thing. I was going to use the roman shades on my french door. I ended up using drapes on a rod and it turned out nice, the other rooms have bamboo woven roman shades.

Now I need to figure out what to put on the walls.

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 2:40PM
More Discussions
Area Rugs - Will Viscose rug last?
Hi, I am in the midst of redecorating my LR & DR....
fillagirl
Do all decorative vases need flowers?
Just moved and trying to decorate new home. I bought...
eppe4
Annie Sloan Chalk Paint - I hate it!!
I'm painting a few pieces of furniture for my daughters...
aggierose
HGTV Fixer Upper show
I have been reading in blog land about HGTV's new show...
ratherbesewing
Why do you decorate?
I'm sure this has come up a million times before ....
anele_gw
Sponsored Products
Capri Dark Granite Four-Light Chandelier w/ 7-Inch Italian Ice Glass
$495.00 | Bellacor
Metro Sconce
Signature Hardware
Brushed Nickel Steel Table Lamp (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
White Cordless Push and Glide Pleated Shade
$24.99 | zulily
Hudson Valley Lighting | Garden City 1 Light Glass Shade Wall Sconce
$364.00 | YLighting
Emerald Bold Stripe Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Cayo Hueso Tropical Linen Fabric in Yellow
$40.00 | FabricSeen
Kichler Larissa 841 Flush Mount - Tannery Bronze with Gold Accent - 8413TZG
$136.62 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™