Flourescents not working in cold weather?

chris_ontNovember 3, 2007

Hi

I have two banks of 4 fluorescent tubes (4-foot) in my unheated garage. They are in plain shoplight sort of fixtures.

They don't work in cold weather. Is there a wiring issue, is it the fixture, or is there a bulb that does work in cold weather? It's barely below freezing overnight and they've shut down.

There is a buzzing sound when the light is turned on, and sometimes they will eventually (or some of them anyway) come on, but in the winter I'm not in the garage long enough to find out.

The same thing happened last winter. I planned to replace the tubes in the spring, figuring that they were blown, but they all came back to life when the weather got warmer.

Is this just the nature of these lamps?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

chris-
That's the nature of standard fluorescents. Here is a link that explains starting temps for various bulbs, and discusses special ballasts that work at lower temperatures (although these are going to be pricier than a standard fixture, as you'll see when you do a Google search for "low temperature ballast").

Here is a link that might be useful: Fluorescents

Bookmark   November 3, 2007 at 1:18PM
bus_driver

The linked site is very good. A trick learned by experimenting is that fluorescent tubes with shatter-protective sleeves often will work better in the cold as the plastic sleeve helps hold heat to the tube. Tubes can be purchased with the sleeves or the sleeves can be purchased for self-installation.

Bookmark   November 3, 2007 at 3:32PM
beacher003

They also make ballasts that are 0 degree and or -20 degree that will work. Just make sure they are for the lamps you have and with the same color leads.

Bookmark   November 4, 2007 at 12:45PM
davidandkasie

or simply put in a regular fixture that uses an incandescent bulb. leave the FL fistures, but add the el cheapo regular light as an immediate light source. if your lights are the plug in kind, you can buy an adapter for a couple bucks that plugs in any standard outlet and accepts a bulb. during the winter plug it in, during warmer months plug the FL fixture back in. i have them in my shop. a couple 75W bulbs come on immediately, then the FLs kick in a few minutes later.

Bookmark   November 5, 2007 at 10:59AM
michaelpwalton1

Replacing the ballast to an electronic ballast will correct the problem (as long as you don't live in alaska). As noted above, be sure that the ballast matches the type of lamps that you have on hand and watch for operation / line voltage.

Bookmark   November 5, 2007 at 11:00PM
More Discussions
Lights Flickering...
We paid an electrician to put in a ceiling light in...
regina_phalange
Replacing fan speed dial back to standard toggle?
I am removing a ceiling fan and replacing it with a...
onkyokoi
Replacing dimmer switch: different wire colors on new switch
My DR lights, which are controlled from two switches,...
msa6
ARGH! no boxes
Went over to my daughter's house to help them change...
Ron Natalie
Multiple Fluorescent Ballasts in one light fixture
Hello GardenWeb. I'm not new here, but couldn't log...
MikeM21
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™