Hot Tub Wiring

mrfixit1328November 21, 2010

My hot tub calls for a 40 amp circuit. I want to install a 50 amp circuit. I want to know if 8 awg THHN is the proper size wire? I know I will need 4 of them, but do I need to buy a green, a white, and two black? Or can I buy it all in black and just recode them with colored electrical tape? I would like to know if the ground can be of a lesser gauge? How do I determine the proper size and type of conduit to use? Thanks for the anticipated help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

#8 copper will be fine as long as we're not talking some rediculously long run, but if the tub is outside you need a wet rated conductor like THWN. Most of the stuff you find marked THHN is also marked THWN but check to be sure before you buy.

You need to look at the installation instructions for your hot tub. You may not need the neutral wire. My spa for example doesn't require it. Just ground and two hots.

You can not just remark #8, you need to use the white (if you need the neutral) and green wires. You can't use a bare ground in this situation either.

You do know you need a GFCI as well? And a maintenance disconnect. This is usually cheaply done by getting a disconnect/GFCI breaker box called a "Spa Pack" which will run about $100 at the home centers.

The size and rating of the conduit depends on a number of factors like is it going to be exposed to sunlight, etc.... One you select an appropriate conduit type, tables in the code tell you how big it needs to be (again depending on whether you are running three or four conductors). Sizing up a little bit may make pulling a little easier.

Yes, you can go with #10 (copper) ground in this case.

It would behoove you to read ART 680 of the electrical code before wiring up a body of water you're going to put your loved ones in.

    Bookmark   November 21, 2010 at 12:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks Ronnatalie! The run is between 80-100 feet. It will be exposed to the weather. It will be run under the eave of the house. Thanks for the reference to ART 680. I will start reading it tonight.

    Bookmark   November 21, 2010 at 12:43PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
can homeowner so electrical work in his own home ? (above ground pool)
I live in Western ma and I'm having an Adobe ground...
Bath fan/light combo
Attached is wiring diagram of masterbath (I hope I...
Dryer power cord next to vent
My contractor is enlarging the dryer vent hole in the...
Two fans on same circuit in different rooms, can't get wiring right
So here's the situation. I have two ceiling fan/lights...
Garage florescent light flickering - bulb or fixture problem?
I replaced the GE F40 RES garage lights with a GE F40...
bibbus 7b
Sponsored Products
Cava Glass Vase
$28.99 | Dot & Bo
Voco Designer Chrome Towel Radiator Rail 35.4 inch x 19.7 inch
Hudson Reed
Remer by Nameeks I02US Tub Spout with Hand Shower - REMER I02US
$358.99 | Hayneedle
ViaVolt 600-Watt HPS White Grow Light System with Timer/Remote Ballast and Refle
Home Depot
Catalina Desk by Copeland Furniture
$2,024.00 | Lumens
Newbury Wire Baskets - Set of 3
$147.99 | Dot & Bo
Area Rug: Itamaraty Ivory 8' Round
Home Depot
Thermostatic Tub Shower Faucet Single Control Floor Mount Swivel Spout
Hudson Reed
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™