Circuit for OTR Microwave

davehoNovember 27, 2009

I'll be installing an over the range microwave where there is currently a simple vent hood. I know I need to run a dedicated 20A circuit, no problem there. The confusion is this. The installation instructions show the microwave being plugged into a single 15A recepticle. I thought a 20A circuit required a duplex 15A recepticle or a single 20A recepticle. I intend to use a single recepticle as I have no need for a duplex. The recepticle will be placed in the cabinet above the microwave. Is there an exception for this situation? The microwave has a 15A plug.

Thanks.

-Dave

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

A 20 A single receptacle will cost more than a 15 A duplex.

Just use a 15 A duplex.

Bookmark   November 27, 2009 at 4:05PM
fotostat

It's convenient to have a duplex receptacle up there in the cabinet, a lot of times people have devices that need to be plugged in to charge a battery that can be stored inside the cabinet.

Bookmark   November 28, 2009 at 11:09PM
dennisgli

I don't know the current codes - but if the microwave calls for a 15amp circuit are you really not allowed to install a dedicated single 15amp outlet for it?

Bookmark   November 29, 2009 at 5:38PM
mike_kaiser_gw

I don't know the current codes - but if the microwave calls for a 15amp circuit are you really not allowed to install a dedicated single 15amp outlet for it?

Absolutely, what else would you install? But I think you have a typo in there. What you're asking is if you can install a 15 amp receptacle on a 20 amp circuit. The answer again is yes. The logic is that you can plug a lower demand appliance into a higher amp circuit. Certainly you could use a 20 amp receptacle but they're typically more expensive so why waste the money.

Bookmark   November 30, 2009 at 8:47AM
brickeyee

"I don't know the current codes - but if the microwave calls for a 15amp circuit are you really not allowed to install a dedicated single 15amp outlet for it?"

It actually comes down in many cases to the exact wording of the installation instructions for the MW.

They almost always 'recommend' a dedicated 15 A circuit (or more) for home size units.

A very few commercial models 'require' the dedicated circuit.

Bookmark   November 30, 2009 at 9:16AM
dennisgli

What I was questioning was the OP's assumption that he _had_ to run a 20amp circuit for a microwave oven that called for a 15amp circuit.

Bookmark   November 30, 2009 at 5:47PM
More Discussions
Can you make a splice inside one of these?
The reason I ask is my neighbor's house was destroyed...
schreibdave
Light/Switch wiring
Here is the scenario. Have a kitchen light that needs...
wgl3333
Code changes
In outlining the electrical layout for our new home,...
mtvhike
Power to shed
Looking to run one 20 amp circuit to my shed and I'm...
ohio45424
Installing 220/240V. 50/60Hz appliances from Europe
I hope to install a "Domino" modular system...
panchoandlefty
Sponsored Products
WAC H System Single Circuit X Connector
LBC Lighting
Bruck | V/A Factory Curved Track - Vertical 94 Inch
$429.00 | YLighting
Bruck | Flight Ring- 4 Foot Diameter
YLighting
LED Antique Brass 43 inch Hardwire Tru-Slim Picture Light
$483.00 | Cocoweb
Magatama 3 Piece Outdoor Patio Chaise in Espresso Turquoise
$999.00 | LexMod
One Circuit Monorail Freejack Connector
LBC Lighting
Broan-Nutone Premier Expressions Meridian Collection Recessed Electrical Medicin
$492.99 | Hayneedle
6*8 Double Sharp Plug High Power Car LED Lamp
$3.95 | ParrotUncle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™