Circuit for OTR Microwave

davehoNovember 27, 2009

I'll be installing an over the range microwave where there is currently a simple vent hood. I know I need to run a dedicated 20A circuit, no problem there. The confusion is this. The installation instructions show the microwave being plugged into a single 15A recepticle. I thought a 20A circuit required a duplex 15A recepticle or a single 20A recepticle. I intend to use a single recepticle as I have no need for a duplex. The recepticle will be placed in the cabinet above the microwave. Is there an exception for this situation? The microwave has a 15A plug.

Thanks.

-Dave

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

A 20 A single receptacle will cost more than a 15 A duplex.

Just use a 15 A duplex.

Bookmark   November 27, 2009 at 4:05PM
fotostat

It's convenient to have a duplex receptacle up there in the cabinet, a lot of times people have devices that need to be plugged in to charge a battery that can be stored inside the cabinet.

Bookmark   November 28, 2009 at 11:09PM
dennisgli

I don't know the current codes - but if the microwave calls for a 15amp circuit are you really not allowed to install a dedicated single 15amp outlet for it?

Bookmark   November 29, 2009 at 5:38PM
mike_kaiser_gw

I don't know the current codes - but if the microwave calls for a 15amp circuit are you really not allowed to install a dedicated single 15amp outlet for it?

Absolutely, what else would you install? But I think you have a typo in there. What you're asking is if you can install a 15 amp receptacle on a 20 amp circuit. The answer again is yes. The logic is that you can plug a lower demand appliance into a higher amp circuit. Certainly you could use a 20 amp receptacle but they're typically more expensive so why waste the money.

Bookmark   November 30, 2009 at 8:47AM
brickeyee

"I don't know the current codes - but if the microwave calls for a 15amp circuit are you really not allowed to install a dedicated single 15amp outlet for it?"

It actually comes down in many cases to the exact wording of the installation instructions for the MW.

They almost always 'recommend' a dedicated 15 A circuit (or more) for home size units.

A very few commercial models 'require' the dedicated circuit.

Bookmark   November 30, 2009 at 9:16AM
dennisgli

What I was questioning was the OP's assumption that he _had_ to run a 20amp circuit for a microwave oven that called for a 15amp circuit.

Bookmark   November 30, 2009 at 5:47PM
More Discussions
Need help Replacing old dimmer that used only 2 wires in a three way
I need advice as to which wire to connect to which...
txmat
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
bold_as_love
Replacing fan speed dial back to standard toggle?
I am removing a ceiling fan and replacing it with a...
onkyokoi
Help with 240V 50A location
I'm trying to do a challenging kitchen layout. I will...
12crumbles
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?...
rontero
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™