Portable generator

chadd77November 1, 2012

Looking at purchasing a portable generator. On average we lose power twice a year for 24 hours. Nothing crazy but hoping a generator/transfer switch will make the outage more manageable. I�m looking to run my sump pump, fridge, standup freezer, water pump, furnace fan, and some lights. The 2 models I�m looking at are: Generac XG8000E and the DuroMax10000E. Both get decent reviews and both are around the same price. Looking for some feedback on both models. Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kalining

you will be looking at starting 5 electric motors. The
GenerCrap 8000 is not a good idea. 10000 is bare minimum.
If you can make sure all 5 don't start at the same time the
10000 MIGHT work.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 6:47PM
countryboymo

I doubt you will have all 5 start at once. For rare outages I would unplug the freezer during the day or the busy part of the day and leave it plugged in through the night. I would vote for spending the money for a interlock switch or transfer switch first and then look at the budget for the generator second. It don't matter how much money you spend on a generator if you accidently kill someone with it.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 8:52PM
chadd77

I appreciate the feedback. I'm ok with dropping a little more cash on the Generac 10000 if that makes more sense. Didnt' realize there was a huge difference between the 8000 and the 10000 model.

Question on the transfer switch. Which switches do you guys recommend?

Bookmark   November 2, 2012 at 7:47AM
obadran

I've been looking at gens to. Make sure you read the specs. I almost got fooled by the model numbers indicating wattage.

For example, the DuroMax 10000, I think is 10KW surge, not continuous, while the Generac 8000 is 8000W continuous.

Bookmark   November 2, 2012 at 4:42PM
petey_racer

Saying a 10k "might work" is completely ABSURD!
That load is NO different than any other smaller residential load. I know folks that run all that and more, easily and safely, on a Honda 4500.

Anything from a good quality 5000 up to a decent 8000 would be FINE.
Keep in mind I am talking running watts. I ignore starting or "surge" watt claims.

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 6:52AM
chadd77

You guys no anything about this model? I can't find a lot of info about them but they look like solid generators. Any info would be appreciated. There is someone local in my area selling one. They bought it for the storm and did not need it and I'm able to get it at 1/2 the cost.

http://www.tahoepower.org/gas-generator.html

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 7:49AM
elltwo

Download the owner's manual and warranty and see if you think it's reliable.

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 12:09PM
yosemitebill

"There is someone local in my area selling one."

His name wouldn't be P.T. Barnum, would it?!!

Seriously, $4000 for one of those cheap Chinese made generators is unbelievable! And it's only 6.5kw.

You may want to Google "Tahoe Industries".

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 1:37PM
chadd77

I tried googling it but wasn't able to find much about the company or reviews on the products. The link I posted is the generator that they are selling. It's a 9000. The new price is 4,000 and I have them down to 2,000. It's brand new. They only started it to test it. But if it's Chinese junk I'll pass on it. Would love to hear your opinion on the company if you have used their products before.

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 3:02PM
chadd77

I tried googling it but wasn't able to find much about the company or reviews on the products. The link I posted is the generator that they are selling. It's a 9000. The new price is 4,000 and I have them down to 2,000. It's brand new. They only started it to test it. But if it's Chinese junk I'll pass on it. Would love to hear your opinion on the company if you have used their products before.

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 3:03PM
yosemitebill

The bottom of the Google search return page also offers related search terms which have been used by other people.

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 4:59PM
petey_racer

Ummm...not sure about this model, but most Generac is made in the USA.

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 7:40AM
chadd77

I'm very familiar with search engines and how they work. Again, I wasn't able to find much info about the company. I found articles where people were trying to sell generac generators with the Tahoe name on it.

If you have info on them I'd love to hear about it.

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 8:42AM
More Discussions
Reuse electrical panel
I replaced a 24 circuit Square D panel with a new 40...
zver11
Too much load for circuit?
I have 200 amp service to the main panel (which has...
zver11
Multiple Fluorescent Ballasts in one light fixture
Hello GardenWeb. I'm not new here, but couldn't log...
MikeM21
Need help Replacing old dimmer that used only 2 wires in a three way
I need advice as to which wire to connect to which...
txmat
ceiling fan, fan works but lights do not
I have 2 kids and one threw a toy that hit one of the...
katy_bug
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™