Exit sign plug dilemma

Kbos51November 11, 2012

Hello,

I am am artist and recently acquired a brand new illuminating exit sign I would like to use in my next project. It would normally be hardwired & it also has a battery backup for emergencies that has its own charger. For my project however, hardwiring is not really an option and I would like to wire it to a plug in order to be able to turn it on & off. I've taken several hardwired light fixtures and successfully wired them to a polarized plug, but they were all basic 2 or 3 wire connections. This has 4 wires, blue black, white and green. Can anyone tell me how to wire this? I would like for the batteries and charger to work as intended, so it would remain lit for a bit after unplugged if possible.

Any feedback would be welcome....thank you so much for your time!

Have a great day!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yosemitebill

Since I have never had any experience with exit signs, I looked up new ones on the internet and it appears that they are typically 120/277 volt capable.

I would "guess" that the black is for 120V and blue is for 277V operation - the white is neutral and green ground. You would still need to confirm this either by taking the sign apart or finding the wiring diagram for the sign,

If this is the case, be sure to cap off and tape the blue wire as it would most likely be hot.

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 2:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alan_s_thefirst

Google the model number or manufacturer's info, and on their site hopefully you will find wiring info.

I wouldn't do any wild guessing, you could well fry something, including yourself.

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 2:08AM
More Discussions
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
How to get garage freezer to work in cold weather
I have a 7-year-old GE refrigerator/freezer in my unheated,...
amyf5
Need help Replacing old dimmer that used only 2 wires in a three way
I need advice as to which wire to connect to which...
txmat
Replacing dimmer switch: different wire colors on new switch
My DR lights, which are controlled from two switches,...
msa6
electrical outlet distance to radiator
how far from a radiator should a wall electrical outlet...
amsayan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™