Wiring in an old house

Frank1958October 10, 2011

I'm doing work in my mom's house which was built sometime in the 30's. We have two seperate boxes with screw in fuses. The wiring thats visible in the basement is metal clad. I was changing an old porcelan light and i have a total of 4 wires (2 sets of two), 2 wires hot and 2 wires neutral. Living in a newer house this type of wire in not familiar. Any info on this would be great. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
llaatt22

Unless you are a licensed electrician with liability insurance or a legal part owner of the property, be very cautious about getting involved in extensive amounts of electrical work there. If something goes south later, any insurance company involved will likely be going over things with a fine tooth comb looking for someone to share their pain.

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 7:35AM
Frank1958

I'm not looking to do anything extensive....just changing some old fixtures. I'm just looking for info on what type of wiring this is.

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 2:11PM
brickeyee

Most likely AC (armor clad) cable.

You really need a special cutter for it, though you can try and struggle with a hacksaw.

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 2:17PM
Billl

Well, if you are just changing out fixtures, it really doesn't matter what type of wiring it is. Just put the wires for the new fixture in exactly how the old ones came out. If the box is metal, it hopefully has a grounding screw to attach the ground wire to. In a 30's house though, it wouldn't have been grounded originally, so you may just have the light fixture ground attached to nothing.

If a lot of people have been in their monkeying with the electrical over the years, all bets are off in terms of what might be hiding behind the walls.

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 4:37PM
ionized_gw

This is a ceiling box? Is it the only light controlled by a switch? I am betting that you have hot and neutral going to the box and the other two are a switch loop. If there are more lights on that switch, you have hot and neutral leading to that box and more of the same going to the down stream lights.

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 7:28PM
More Discussions
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
drmeow3
A/C wired to main panel only?
I had 2 electricians come out to bid upgrading my service...
frank_diy
Wiring Ceiling fan
I have a new ceiling fan with a light. The fan has...
jjp2121
Ceiling fan wiring
I have a new ceiling fan with a light. The fan has...
jjp2121
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™