Convert 2 Separate switch items to 1 swtch

casualfcOctober 2, 2010

I have a 3 switch plate on my wall. One switch is for an indoor light switch ( 3 wire, as there are 2 on the same line). The other 2 switches are two separate outdoor light fixtures. I would like to install an in-wall timer that controls both lights at the same time. Is this possible?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

Shouldn't be a problem. You would just connect, say, both top wires from the existing switches to the one pole of the switch and the two bottom wires to the other pole of the switch.

The only trouble I foresee is some (many, all?) of those timers require a neutral to be present. Depending on how those lights are wired, you may not have a neutral in the box. You might also have a difficult time finding a wall plate to cover the missing device at your local home center. You'll probably need an electrical supply house or order one online.

Bookmark   October 3, 2010 at 7:29AM
ontariojer

It MAY be possible, depending on several factors. I would get an electrician to take a look at it.

Bookmark   October 3, 2010 at 8:06AM
DavidR

If both switches are currently fed from the same incoming hot - pigtailed to both switches - it shouldn't be too tough. You simply wirenut the feeds to the lights together with a pigtail, and connect the pigtail to the one switch.

If they aren't wired that way - one or both on switchloops - then it gets quite a bit more complicated.

Others have pointed out the additional concerns here. I would add that some timers are powered by small internal batteries and thus don't need a neutral.

Bookmark   October 3, 2010 at 12:57PM
More Discussions
Ceiling fan wiring
I have a new ceiling fan with a light. The fan has...
jjp2121
Multiple Fluorescent Ballasts in one light fixture
Hello GardenWeb. I'm not new here, but couldn't log...
MikeM21
Replacing fan speed dial back to standard toggle?
I am removing a ceiling fan and replacing it with a...
onkyokoi
electrical outlet distance to radiator
how far from a radiator should a wall electrical outlet...
amsayan
Light boxes on/in 6X8 timber floor joists for log home
Just trying to figure how to wire a couple light fixtures/chandelier...
yota_85
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™