Outside electrical wiring

fatima11October 28, 2012

We are getting a builder house. We are getting the standard landscaping that includes sprinkler and grass. We want to later get professional lighting and landscaping done. Should I ask for any prewiring to the exterior of the house that will save me money and hassle later. I find myself clueless. The builder is charging $375 for the prewire and $100 for an electric outlet 110 volts. What should I opt for? What kind of wiring will I need for later to light up my exterior?

Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

You need two electrical outlets (AT LEAST) on the house to be legal. These need to be fitted with "in-use" style covers.

The important thing for planning later landscape lighting is to make sure that you have receptacles placed so that places that are difficult to run wiring to (like under driveways) are reachable.

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 7:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

I second ronnatile's point about accessibility. It's cheap and easy to put in capped lengths of PVC conduit under driveways and sidewalks during construction so you can pull wires easily in the future to all areas. Just mark the locations of the ends of the conduit on a blueprint by taking measurements off things that won't change, like the corner of the house. Measurements from any two fixed points to a particular other point will allow you to triangulate precisely and find the conduit easily in the future when your memory has faded a bit.

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 1:34AM
More Discussions
ceiling fan, fan works but lights do not
I have 2 kids and one threw a toy that hit one of the...
katy_bug
Replacing fan speed dial back to standard toggle?
I am removing a ceiling fan and replacing it with a...
onkyokoi
Re-wiring range to service spa
what connectors are appropriate for joining 6-3 NMB...
justsomeotherdude
Too much load for circuit?
I have 200 amp service to the main panel (which has...
zver11
Crawl Space Junction Boxes: inspection and capping
Hello. I'm in the process of crawl space improvement....
SparklingWater
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™