window covering for family room help

massagerocksSeptember 26, 2012

Hi everyone,

When we moved into our house 15 years ago, i had Hunter Douglas Silhouettes installed on our windows and planned on doing the drapes as I got a feel for the house. Well, I still have no drapes! Here is my family room, which i'd like to try first. Any ideas? We get too much sunlight through this window and I'm thinking of putting window film on the top smaller windows. Would it be weird to mix window coverings? I like the texture of woven blinds and wonder how those might look on the top windows and then drapes on the bottom part? Where should I hang the rod? I like muted,subtle patterns but should I match the wall color or do a different color. The colors aren't photographing quite true. The walls are SW Blonde and the rug is more gold than it looks in the pic. I'm open to all ideas, I have no clue!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mpmg46

What a lovely room with nice, natural light.

I think I would probably get the top windows tinted as well. Maybe plantation shutters on the lower windows?

Or else a high rod over all of the windows with curtains on either side that you could pull closed if you needed?

Not sure on color, the carpet reads a light cream on my screen, so I don't know what to suggest, since the coloring is off for me.

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 5:15PM
massagerocks

Here are a few more pics I took this morning with the shades down. If I put a rod above all the windows, would it look weird if I put woven blinds (which I'd keep pulled down) on the top windows? Or should I leave them bare? Any ideas on types of drapes...I don't know what color or pattern would look best. My couch and another chair in the room are burgundy leather (getting old so may be changed someday maybe grays/browns?)

rug

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 7:49AM
lolauren

I think the two different types of shades wouldn't look right. If you use shades on the top windows that block the light a lot, would you miss some of that light?

RE: drapes, I would hang them just below the ceiling line and have them wider than the entire group of windows by quite a bit. (Wide enough that when the curtains are open, they can be pushed back out of the way and barely cover the edges of the windows.)

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 10:45AM
More Discussions
Speaking of food...Sacher Torte
I recently found out my son's favorite dessert is Sacher...
Javachik
Help with window treatments
Hi, we put in new living room windows, and now I need...
marbelle21
aluminum prints in bathroom
has anyone had experience with keeping aluminum prints...
soccerfan15
Animal print carpeting revisited
I googled stark and it looks like it sells to the trade....
bossyvossy
Painting below chair rail to give appearance of wood paneling
Not in my budget to have wood panel wainscoting but...
bossyvossy
Sponsored Products
63" Round Stone Outdoor Marble Mosaic Dining Table - LUXOR
Living'ROC
Et Blanc En Noir Pillow Cover
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Key West Stone Linen Blend Stripe Curtain Panel
Overstock.com
637 Crystaline Unfinished Bifold Door
Overstock.com
Dog Wisdom Throw Pillow - PIL-PCA-L
$39.99 | Hayneedle