looking for recessed cans that can be in contact with insulation

jaansuOctober 10, 2012

I have a ceiling in which I would like to install 5" diameter cans. Unfortunately, there are rolls of insulation between these joists and no access to get to the area from above. The only cans I found at the big box stores are not permitted to be in insulation contact unless they are 6" cans and these don't seem to permit installation into a finished ceiling (or am I missing something?).

Are there 5" cans that I can use that would allow use of 23W CFLs while being in contact with the paper of the insulation? They would have to be shoved up a little or perhaps I will cut out room for the can but in any event, they must not allow fire danger.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

What you're looking for is what's call an insulation contact (IC) retrofit housing. Halo (Cooper Lighting) makes them but most people use some kind of flood light in recessed cans, so I don't know if you could use an ordinary compact fluorescent lamp with one of the 5" models. Halo does make an IC retrofit can with a built in fluorescent ballast and you'd just plug in the lamp.

If you can't find what you want at a big box store, you'll need to try a electrical or lighting supply house.

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 6:57AM
Ron Natalie

You can usually find someone online that will sell you the HALO stuff for less than the big box by about 20%, of course you usually end up paying for shipping so it often comes out as a price wash.

As mike says, 5" IC housings are available in both regular incandescent or designed for non-retrofit CF bulbs. In fact, there are some straight downlights I've seen that are LED fixtures.

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 8:10AM
jaansu

Thanks guys, this looks like what I need. If the can is not particularly tall, I thought I would install it so that it pushes against the paper vapor barrier of the insulation batts above. It that more of a fire hazard or is it better to cut through the paper and cut a 'hole' in the insulation roll?

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 8:48AM
Ron Natalie

An IC fixture is allowed to touch the paper, wood framing, the insulation, or other structure.

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 11:06PM
More Discussions
Outdoor subpanel as AC disconnect
Can we use an outdoor subpanel as an AC disconnect?...
ylmzm
Grounding Service panel 200amp
Is the new NEC saying to no longer run # 4 copper wire...
Electrical Problem.
My mom's house has a problem with the lights temporarily...
Debra Johnson
Code changes
In outlining the electrical layout for our new home,...
mtvhike
Badly done multi-wire circuits (previous owner strikes again..)
I bought a 1940-ish house last year, for which the...
quahog
Sponsored Products
Metal Orb Accent Lamp Base
Cost Plus World Market
Beautiful Hand Crafted Blue Oushak Runner 2' 6" x 11' 10" Veg Dyed Wool H3217
BH Sun Inc
Serena & Lily Buchanan Window Rod
Serena & Lily
Sunset Trading Rustic Six Drawer Dresser
Beyond Stores
Bella Bowls - Set of 3
$119.99 | Dot & Bo