wiring of multi split heating/air units-

peter54321October 29, 2011

I got 2 multi split indoor units and one outdoor18/24 kBtu/h unit . the wiring of the outdoor unit calls for #14 with ground for 208/230v . An HVAC guy told me the cable should be magnetic . Has anyone ever heard of this ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petey_racer

What??? Magnetic??

Please do not listen to an HVAC guy when he gives you electrical advice.

Bookmark   October 29, 2011 at 10:31PM
peter54321

Somehow the wiring effects the wifi in your house every time the unit comes on . Therefor the special magnetic wire helps .

Bookmark   October 30, 2011 at 10:52AM
brickeyee

"Somehow the wiring effects the wifi in your house every time the unit comes on . Therefor the special magnetic wire helps ."

Bovine Scatology.

Bookmark   October 30, 2011 at 11:17AM
weedmeister

I think he means shielded wire. But I've never heard of wire used for power being shielded.

BS.

Bookmark   October 31, 2011 at 5:53PM
ionized_gw

The indoor units are powered from the outdoor. In mine, the control and power cable between the indoor and outdoor are one and installed by the AC guy. This includes two 208/230 conductors, ground and a 12-24V control conductor. The only thing that the electrician needs to look at is the power supply to the outdoor units.

There is a vague warning (stupid drawing) in one install manual to avoid close placement of the indoor units near fluorescent lights and entertainment equipment.

Bookmark   October 31, 2011 at 7:14PM
brickeyee

"There is a vague warning (stupid drawing) in one install manual to avoid close placement of the indoor units near fluorescent lights and entertainment equipment."

Very poorly designed equipment.

Bookmark   October 31, 2011 at 7:16PM
ionized_gw

Upon further examination, they seem to be concerned with two things. The first is the interference with TV or radio. They say that they want 1 M or more distance. Furthermore, they write, " An amplifier might be necessary for the affected device."

The second is the fluorescent AND incandescent lights. They want to be as far as possible for the remote to operate properly.

Now that I think about it, I have some weird radio reception problems. I will have to check to see if it correlates with the mini split operation. I listen to radio a lot.

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 12:19PM
More Discussions
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
Crawl Space Junction Boxes: inspection and capping
Hello. I'm in the process of crawl space improvement....
SparklingWater
ARGH! no boxes
Went over to my daughter's house to help them change...
Ron Natalie
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
bold_as_love
electrical outlet distance to radiator
how far from a radiator should a wall electrical outlet...
amsayan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™