tamper resistant receptacles

smithy123October 22, 2010

i was thinking deeply about the safety hazards involved with using tr receptacles. with a tamper resistant receptacle, if you aply pressure on one slot, nothing can go in. but here is where i thought of the possible problems: when someone applies pressure to both slots, something is allowed to go in. so, if a child has 2 metal objects and inserting one does nothing the child may insert something into the other slot with thhe other hand, it will recieve a fatal shock. with a normal receptacle, and the child inserts something, it will receive the shock and release the object. with afci's, or gfci's, it will also trip the device.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
smithy_123

i was thinking deeply about the safety hazards involved with giving advice , if you give advice, but you don't know what you are talking about. but here is where i thought of the possible problems: when someone doesn't know the difference between an afci and a gfci. or what a ground fault is, or how to give helpful advice instead of inane comments so, if a child has internet access the child may insert something into the discussion, it should recieve a fatal shock. with a normal message board there is a moderator to ban the multiple accounts and and release the object of my increasing derision.

Bookmark   October 22, 2010 at 8:25PM
ontariojer

Finally, someone that agrees with me!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   October 22, 2010 at 8:29PM
smithy123

That was me when i was that age. in preschool, i brought a powerstrip for show and tell.

Bookmark   October 22, 2010 at 9:24PM
countryboymo

Anyone remember that Doogie Howser show?

Bookmark   October 23, 2010 at 1:21AM
lbpod

I wasn't aware that Square D made power strips.

Bookmark   October 23, 2010 at 9:09AM
smithy123

they dont. but, i did grow up around QO panels, but my mom's parents's house has fpe :(. my house as well as my dad's parents's houses both had 20 space, but ours was 200a, while theirs was only 100a. the panel wwas the only thing done electrically right in our house.:(

Bookmark   October 23, 2010 at 3:41PM
More Discussions
Re-wiring range to service spa
what connectors are appropriate for joining 6-3 NMB...
justsomeotherdude
A/C wired to main panel only?
I had 2 electricians come out to bid upgrading my service...
frank_diy
Reuse electrical panel
I replaced a 24 circuit Square D panel with a new 40...
zver11
Well this sucks
Just when you thought the idiot popup ads in the gardenweb...
Ron Natalie
Crawl Space Junction Boxes: inspection and capping
Hello. I'm in the process of crawl space improvement....
SparklingWater
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™