installing outlets/receptacles into 3/4 inch brick veneer

oopsie913October 27, 2009

electrician is coming tomorrow to wire the kitchen and we are going to put in 3/4 inch weathered brick veneer on a wall and under the cabinets. Will he just set the outlets out more to accommodate the thickness or what? And I plan to set the outlets abov e the counter at a horizontal. Any thoughts here.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
normel

Make sure he(she) knows what you plan to do. It would be best to have some of this veneer on hand.

Bookmark   October 27, 2009 at 7:14PM
azlighting

Electrician can either mount the receptacle boxes further out to allow room for the veneer, or they can get a deeper box for a few cents more.

Bookmark   October 27, 2009 at 10:23PM
brickeyee

The problem that occurs is that standard boxes are not set up for arbitrary thickness walls.

They have some room, but if nailing flanges are going to be used they need to fall on the studs or blocking.

The front edge of the box must be recessed no more than 1/8 inch behind the face of a non-flammable surface.

Box extensions are another way of making up for wall thickness.

Thin ones go under the mounting yoke of devices and are held by the device mounting screws.
Deeper extensions use there own screws to attach to the box ad provide mounting tabs with holes for the device to than attach.

You may have to trim the device mounting screw length, but that is a simple thing.

Bookmark   October 28, 2009 at 9:21AM
bus_driver

Adjustable boxes are offered by more than one manufacturer. I do think you are wise to communicate with the electrician about the plans. Too often, it is wrongly assumed that he/she knows all about future plans for wall thickness and finishes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carlon

Bookmark   October 28, 2009 at 1:07PM
More Discussions
Ceiling fan wiring
I have a new ceiling fan with a light. The fan has...
jjp2121
Help with 240V 50A location
I'm trying to do a challenging kitchen layout. I will...
12crumbles
Light boxes on/in 6X8 timber floor joists for log home
Just trying to figure how to wire a couple light fixtures/chandelier...
yota_85
Multiple Fluorescent Ballasts in one light fixture
Hello GardenWeb. I'm not new here, but couldn't log...
MikeM21
Reuse electrical panel
I replaced a 24 circuit Square D panel with a new 40...
zver11
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™