How do I test a florescent light/fixture?

jerry_njOctober 11, 2011

I have a GE electric kitchen range with a florescent light across its width above the control panel. The range is at least 10 years old, but the light has not been used much.

The blub is F26T8-CW4 10 Watt and it is operated by a three position switch. The switch is a rocker style with an Off position in which it can rest, and an On position in which it can switched to and is the center rest position, and it has a Start position that is momentary, is in that position only as long at the switch is held there. My recollection is I had to hold the switch in the Start position until the light flickered, and then I'd release. Now there is not even a flicker.

I was going to replace the bulb as that's the only way I know to test a florescent bulb. But, I was not able to find the subject bulb at either Walmart or Lowes.

I would like to make some test to see if the bulb is getting a Start and On signals. I have a volt-ohm-meter and know how to use it to check a socket for an incandescent bulb. Can I make some tests to assure that the florescent fixture is providing electrical power to the florescent bulb?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

My crossreference says an F18T8CW is the replacement for the F26T8

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 11:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerry_nj

Sorry about my poor spelling, Fluorescent is the correct spelling (I think).

Amazon shows a starter FS25 as corresponding to the F26T8-CW/4 bulb. A starter is fixture dependent, as I recall some "ballast" designs include the starter (built in).

Thanks Randy, but I doubt the correctness of the swap bulb. The F26... is indeed 26" long and is a bulb built specifically for appliances, I have learned. It is on a 30" wide range (standard size) and just about covers the whole width, i.e., just enclosure of a couple of inches on each side.

I will see if I can easily open the cover further to check for ballast and starter.

Bookmark   October 12, 2011 at 7:56AM
More Discussions
Well this sucks
Just when you thought the idiot popup ads in the gardenweb...
Ron Natalie
Crawl Space Junction Boxes: inspection and capping
Hello. I'm in the process of crawl space improvement....
SparklingWater
Doorbell goes off by itself.
Can anyone tell me why this would happen? It's a wired...
stu2900
electrical outlet distance to radiator
how far from a radiator should a wall electrical outlet...
amsayan
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™