Replacing this socket on dining room fixture

Julia NYOctober 12, 2011

The downlight on our dining room light fixture doesn't work. When looking at it, it appears the holes where the bulb(50W MR-16 )pins goes is overly worn. The downlight is attached to the middle section of our fixture which has 5 candelabras.

Any help on how to replace this socket? What is this type of socket called?

Here are some pics which might help explain the issue better.

Julia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

You might try replacing the existing socket with a regular candelabra base socket.

The sockets and bulbs are much easier to find.

Bookmark   October 14, 2011 at 10:15AM
Billl

I've got no connection to the site below, but it came up first when I googled that connection. The replacement part is cheap, but the repair might not be simple unless the lamp opens up easily.

Here is a link that might be useful: part

Bookmark   October 14, 2011 at 11:16AM
w0lley32

I had the same problem a few years ago, and I went to a lighting store that also has an electrical supply counter. They had them with a 18" lead, and could order with 24" leads. 24" should be long enough to reach the enclosure in the middle where all the leads are connected together. Ask for a 12 volt bi-pin socket.

Bookmark   October 14, 2011 at 10:56PM
Julia NY

Thank you for the help. We plan to go to the electrical supply store and see if they have it. If not, I'm sure they will be able to order it for us. At least I know what to call it.

Julia

Bookmark   October 16, 2011 at 9:19AM
Julia NY

Just to update this post. I did have to go online and order the part. We visited several electrical supply stores plus hardware stores and no one had the part.
Once the part arrived, we decided to have our electrician come and change out the part. Good thing we did. When trying to get the existing socket out, it just started to crumble into pieces. One note is that the wiring on the new socket was a bit shorter but he got it all connected again. I guess if we did it over again, I'd be sure to buy this socket with longer wiring.
All fixed and now I have my downlight again. Thanks to all of you for the suggestions.

Julia

Bookmark   November 9, 2011 at 6:20PM
More Discussions
Replacing fan speed dial back to standard toggle?
I am removing a ceiling fan and replacing it with a...
onkyokoi
Replacing dimmer switch: different wire colors on new switch
My DR lights, which are controlled from two switches,...
msa6
electrical outlet distance to radiator
how far from a radiator should a wall electrical outlet...
amsayan
Doorbell goes off by itself.
Can anyone tell me why this would happen? It's a wired...
stu2900
Re-wiring range to service spa
what connectors are appropriate for joining 6-3 NMB...
justsomeotherdude
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™