induction cooktop wiring amperage limits

carltondraughtOctober 28, 2010

Hi there,

we've recently purchased a new induction cooktop, the Fagor IFF 82R. Out of the box it's electrical connection is presented as bare wires (not a male plug), with an earth and then a pair of a pair of wires, i.e. 2 neutral and 2 live wires twisted together. The documentation says it will/can draw 32A at 240V.

My question is can i simply buy the male plug and plug it into a standard outlet, assuming i have a 32 Amp fuse on that circuit, or should we be getting new wires run to it by an electrician ? Is it ok to run 32 Amps through the standard plugs i can buy at the hardware store ?(how strict is the '16 amps' they have written on them) I'm renting and i don't no anything about the type of wiring in the house, although it is all brand new.

sorry if these seem like dumb questions

cheers,

-i

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ontariojer

So I noticed you called it 'an earth'. I assume you are in Europe then?
I don't know how much help you will find here if that is the case, but maybe somebody here knows. Are you actually in France?

Bookmark   October 28, 2010 at 6:34PM
randy427

I don't know what your applicable electrical codes would call for in France, but I am positive that it is NOT safe or permissible to use a 16 amp rated plug on a 32 amp appliance.
If a plug can be used, as opposed to being hard-wired, the blades on the plug would probably be around 1.5 cm wide.

Bookmark   October 28, 2010 at 7:29PM
Ron Natalie

Unless you had a full stove (ovens and cook top) the wiring is probably not stout enough for the current required by the induction cooktop .

Bookmark   October 28, 2010 at 7:42PM
carltondraught

indeed i am in france, sorry i didn't make that clearer.

its a new apartment so i'm not replacing anything, so i don't think anything appropriate is in place currently im afraid.

ok looks like i'm gonna call a sparky then. cheers all !

Bookmark   October 29, 2010 at 4:53AM
More Discussions
A/C wired to main panel only?
I had 2 electricians come out to bid upgrading my service...
frank_diy
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
drmeow3
Spa Capacitor question
My spa is wired for 220v. The pump motor is rated for...
pugmark
ARGH! no boxes
Went over to my daughter's house to help them change...
Ron Natalie
Insulation in electrical box
While in my attic the other day I saw an open electrical...
sgilliatt
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™