Aluminum wiring question?

vgkgOctober 16, 2012

Hi there,

I've been meaning to post this question for some time now but always too busy ya know. A few years ago I removed a very small laundry room that was added to the house back in the 1970s. I've since the added a bigger room with up-to-date copper wiring. In the process I found that the main ele line feeding the old room was aluminum. I saved some of the wire which has the following specs/info on it:

E 18679 (UL) 12-2 AL Triple-E Alloy with Ground Type NM 600V

I was hoping someone here might know if this particular Al wire is ok? What makes me ask is the part "Triple-E Alloy" which might mean that it's not 100% Al but a mixture of more acceptable metals. Apparently when the old addition was added on to the house they replaced some older wiring too with the same type. Mostly the entire house is copper, just 3 lines of this type AL which feed low use outlets. I have replaced these outlets with Al friendly ones.

Thanks for any info!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

As long as all the terminations (outlets and any junctions) are done with the appropriate, rated for Aluminum devices, this should not be an issue. Triple-E is still aluminum for as the things the code cares about. It has a small amount of Iron added, primarily for heat stability. It means it will hold up better under certain connections.

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 4:03PM
More Discussions
Testing a fluorescent bulb
I've got a light box that isn't lighting up when I...
kudzu9
Outdoor subpanel as AC disconnect
Can we use an outdoor subpanel as an AC disconnect?...
ylmzm
Wiring in a 1 1/2" thick wall cavity
I need to run 12/2 wire thru an existing thin wall....
baker1mich
Garage florescent light flickering - bulb or fixture problem?
I replaced the GE F40 RES garage lights with a GE F40...
bibbus 7b
1 of 2 security light bulbs keep going out, do i need a new light?
I have a security light fixture in my carport that...
tlbean2004
Sponsored Products
Decorative 3-Tier Bakers Rack - 21-269
$119.99 | Hayneedle
Feiss Lumiere 26" Wide Natural Oak Island Pendant Light
Lamps Plus
E27 15W 1500LM 72LED SMD 5730 LED Corn Bulb
ParrotUncle
Quoizel Baker Single-light Palladian Bronze Swing Arm Wall Lamp
Overstock.com
Outdoor Lighting. Monterey Collection Post-Mount 3-Light Outdoor Black Coral Lig
$92.00 | Home Depot
Glass Vase Chandelier
$39.99 | Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™