2 hots in light box + fixture screw question

ardmiOctober 22, 2013

I replaced a standard procelin light fixture in my basement with a similar replacement. It and a second light are controled by 4 way switches (controlled at 3 locations).

Inside the box there was 3-12g wires. (1 neutral, 1 black hot, 1 red hot). The red hot was connected to the light fixture and the black was heavily wrapped in electrical tape and a red wire nut.

I hooked up the new fixture like the old and removed the electrical tape and put on a yellow wirenut and did not wrap with electrical tape. I mention this because of one of my following questions.

1. In that configuration, why is there a second hot wire in a light fixture box??

2. I was concerned that the second hot in box could at sometime come in contact with the exposed screws of the fixture. I figured that why it was wrapped heavy in tape.

Its placed at the top of the box and dont see it coming in contact with screws but it could occur I suppos and I didnt otherwise want to gum it up with electrical tape..... Should I be concerned with this scenario?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

Are you saying that the black wire was not connected to anything (fixture or other wires)?

Any chance there used to be a ceiling fan at this location?

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 2:33PM
ardmi

The black was not connected to anything. I thought it was a switch leg but its on 4 way switches so I am confused.

No ceiling fan either, its a basic lampholder in an octagon box.

Is that strange? No neutral? 240?

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 2:49PM
ardmi

If its not a switchleg and doesnt have anything to do with the 4 way switches maybe it extended the circuit and that outlet/light/whatever was removed at some point leaving the lone black?

And if that is the case, is having a capped hot in the box as described a hazard?

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 3:04PM
Ron Natalie

Capped of lines are not a problem.

What do you mean there is no neutral. WHat is the lamp fixture connected to?

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 4:39PM
ardmi

THanks Ron.

I guess I always think of wires in pairs hot/neutral. So what I meant was there wasnt a second neutral to go with the second hot. I assume it was removed (at one time tied with the neutral that the fixture connects too).

Lamp fixture has neutral in box.

I capped the wire with an ideal yellow. Eventhough its a lone wire I stripped it to the manufacture recomandation anyway instead of just snipping and connecting nut to insualtion.

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 5:05PM
ionized_gw

How are those porcelain socket/outlet combos constructed? Is there a way to connect them so power can be put to the outlet even though a remote switch has the light turned off (break a connecting tab and use separate connectors)? I am thinking of a situation like a switched/unswitched duplex outlet.

Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 2:31PM
ardmi

Its a Leviton pullstring bulb holder with 2 screws. Does have a grounded outlet on it but no tab that I see to make it independent of the bulb holder.

THe one I replaced was very old and cracked. To get at the screws on that one you had to unscrew the bulb holder as they were recessed into the fixture. I didnt get a brandname off it, Ive been replacing old Hubbell, Eagle and Arrow brand devices so perhaps one of those.

Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 4:11PM
btharmy

A neutral can be shared by 2 circuits.

Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 4:14PM
ardmi

Indeed. But the capped hot is on the same circuit of the device.

Unless I am missing something in regards to 4 way switching, I think the capped hot extended the circuit into a small watercloset that was removed long before I came around.

Do you all think its neccessary to remove the wire totally or does keeping it capped in the fixture box safe/satisfactory?

Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 4:19PM
More Discussions
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
Oil in Motor of Ironrite Rotary Iron. what do I do now?
Hi, I just bought an old 1946 Ironrite rotary iron...
lucinda002
Power to shed
Looking to run one 20 amp circuit to my shed and I'm...
ohio45424
Dryer power cord next to vent
My contractor is enlarging the dryer vent hole in the...
phil2015
1 of 2 security light bulbs keep going out, do i need a new light?
I have a security light fixture in my carport that...
tlbean2004
Sponsored Products
Goldenrod Narrow Zig Zag Giclee Glow Plug-In Swag Pendant
Lamps Plus
Pierce II Three-Light Bath Fixture
$164.00 | Bellacor
Moooi | Paper Desk Patchwork, Single
YLiving.com
Kraus Bathroom Combo Set Copper Snake Vessel Sink/Waterfall Faucet
Overstock.com
ALFI AB2801 3-Way Thermostatic Valve Shower Mixer - AB2801-BN
$454.00 | Hayneedle