Master Flow roof fan

jimracOctober 24, 2011

Hello all,

I gather I have to replace the above; I bypassed the thermostat and the unit still wont kick in. Its only about 7 yeasr old.

Is there sopemthing else that I maybe missing or possibly do instead of having a roofer come out and rip the area up to replace?

Thank you

Jim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kurto

How did you "bypass the thermostat"? Is there electricity being supplied to the fan? There's not enough information here to provide any assistance.

Bookmark   October 24, 2011 at 12:47PM
ionized_gw

Most attic fans with a motor problem can probably be fixed without ripping into the roof. You should ask yourself if you need the fan anyway. They are usually not a good idea.

Bookmark   October 24, 2011 at 1:41PM
jimrac

Ok, Kurto,

Yes, there is a live wire connceted to a thermostst, which runs from thermostat to the unit. Sp I disconnceted the wire to the thermostat,, and unconnceted the wires from the unit to the thermosts; and I would gather, the unit should come on with a constant power source? It doesnt; so I think that tells me, the thermoststa isnt bad, but the fan.

Am I incorrect?

Bookmark   October 24, 2011 at 1:41PM
kurto

Well, per your description, you "disconnceted the wire to the thermostat" (doesn't say which wire), and "unconnceted the wires from the unit to the thermostats", which I'm guessing means that nothing is connected to anything. I agree that if you somehow connected a 120VAC power source that the fan should run.

If not, it's probably time to replace the fan, or as ionized suggests, patch the hole in the roof.

Bookmark   October 24, 2011 at 2:10PM
weedmeister

I had my fan motor freeze up. I bought a new motor and installed it. No roof patching required.

Bookmark   October 24, 2011 at 4:21PM
hendricus

To bypass the thermostat you remove the wires from the thermostat and then wire nut them together. Now you have a continuous wire without a thermostat.

Bookmark   October 24, 2011 at 10:17PM
More Discussions
Grounding Service panel 200amp
Is the new NEC saying to no longer run # 4 copper wire...
Humming Transformer
Last summer the POCO replaced the transformer on the...
mike_kaiser_gw
Outdoor subpanel as AC disconnect
Can we use an outdoor subpanel as an AC disconnect?...
ylmzm
1 of 2 security light bulbs keep going out, do i need a new light?
I have a security light fixture in my carport that...
tlbean2004
Subpanel Question
I have a 100 amp panel being fed by #4 awg copper wire I...
Calo Renovations
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™