Long distance run - Help!!

buckeyewillyOctober 29, 2009

Two years ago we built a small cabin on the back of our pond that sits on our 1 acre pond. Distance from the house is approximately 1500 feet. The local power company wants an outrageous amount to run seperate service to the cabin. Presently, I have a 100 amp service in the cabin that is run by a 5600 watt generator that is in a seperate out building near the cabin.

I would love to run some electric back to this cabin that would run the following -

mini fridge 1.2 amps,

sm tv 1.7 amps,

lighting 2.8 amps.

Here is the balance of the electrical items that we use.

2.5 gal. hot water heater 12.5 amps

microwave - 8 amps

toaster oven - 8 amps

coffee pot - 7.5 amps

Our water system is feed by a 12 volt pump. I do own a Kubota with back hoe so I can dig the trench for direct burial cable. What size wiring would I need to accomplish this. I am open to any and all ideas.



Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

What exactly do you consider "an outrageous amount"? You may find that it is quite reasonable when you start comparing it to 1500+ ft of 500mcl Quadplex.

    Bookmark   October 29, 2009 at 11:35AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I believe their cost was $12000.

    Bookmark   October 29, 2009 at 4:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If 2/0 aluminum would cut it, the wire would run about $6,000. Then it is all you, trenching/ installation.

    Bookmark   October 29, 2009 at 7:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

1500ft of 2/0 AL would drop about 8 volts at 20A. You could watch the lights and know when your water heater was up to temperature.

    Bookmark   October 29, 2009 at 8:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I think my post might have been misleading. I am only interested in supplying enough power to cover the fridge, lighting & tv which is about 6 amps. The balance of the appliances we would continue to use the generator as needed. Just having the fridge and lights would be great!!

    Bookmark   October 30, 2009 at 9:19AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Using a voltage drop calculator and 30 amps as a reference you need to use 350 MCM.

    Bookmark   October 30, 2009 at 9:37AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Even at a 20A load, you need 4/0, and that's if you run a 120/240 feeder for a subpanel.

    Bookmark   October 30, 2009 at 9:41AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If i was you, I would invest in a solar panel system with batteries. It would probably be cheaper than running wire.

    Bookmark   October 30, 2009 at 11:54AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If it was mine, I might consider using step-up transformer at the source and step-down at the point of use. THWN is rated at 600 volts- requires conduit. Impractical for your distance. Type UF-B cable is typically rated at 600 volts. But you will spend $6000 or more on the cheapest setup I can envision.
Without the step-up, use of 120/240 will cut voltage losses to 1/4 that of 120 volt supply for the same amperage if the loads on the 120/240 are evenly divided between the poles. Cable for the 120/240 costs considerably more, but use of smaller size may be possible.

    Bookmark   October 30, 2009 at 5:12PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Crawl Space Junction Boxes: inspection and capping
Hello. I'm in the process of crawl space improvement....
Wiring Ceiling fan
I have a new ceiling fan with a light. The fan has...
Well this sucks
Just when you thought the idiot popup ads in the gardenweb...
Ron Natalie
Insulation in electrical box
While in my attic the other day I saw an open electrical...
Looking for Ideas For Lighting at base of 300' long driveway
Sorry for the "picture through the screen"...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™