What not to do as a DIY'er?

trowel101October 3, 2009
see more [Epic Fails](http://failblog.org)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

I have seen similar installations that resulted from unusual circumstances. Today's codes forbid such installations from being done today. In one instance, house built about 1915, no electricity available. No indoor plumbing either. Neither was ever expected. Power lines run about 1935, house wired at that time with panel installed in smallest (guest) bedroom. About 1950, central heat and bathroom installed, the same bedroom being converted to the bath. Ergo, the panel is above the tub. Knowing the financial circumstances involved, those people really did about the best they could do. Codes typically do improve safety, but they do not by any means lower costs. Those people are now deceased and I have not been in that house since they died.

Bookmark   October 3, 2009 at 3:48PM
hexus

not having money is no excuse for not having common sense.

Bookmark   October 3, 2009 at 6:58PM
azlighting

I have seen electrical panels installed in bathrooms of doctors offices. Fairly recent builds too.

Bookmark   October 4, 2009 at 3:19AM
texasredhead

Typically, doctor's bathrooms consist of a toilet and a basin. Still not a good idea. Once moved a panel from inside a linen closet in a bathroom. Turned out to be a major rewire. The home had been sold and the new owners made the panel move and rewire part of the deal. Have seen panels in cloths closets, in kitchens over the counter and in garages behind refrigerators or behind junk stacked to the rafters.

Bookmark   October 4, 2009 at 9:54AM
joed

Toilet and basin is legal to install panel in Canada. That is a washroom as opposed to a bathroom. If it has a shower or bathtub no panel allowed.

Bookmark   October 4, 2009 at 11:12AM
lw44

Some of the situations I have seen & heard. Usually professional people. No common sence.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jupiter Blue Access Panels

Bookmark   October 14, 2009 at 10:03AM
More Discussions
Need help Replacing old dimmer that used only 2 wires in a three way
I need advice as to which wire to connect to which...
txmat
ceiling fan, fan works but lights do not
I have 2 kids and one threw a toy that hit one of the...
katy_bug
Reuse electrical panel
I replaced a 24 circuit Square D panel with a new 40...
zver11
Ceiling fan wiring
I have a new ceiling fan with a light. The fan has...
jjp2121
Spa Capacitor question
My spa is wired for 220v. The pump motor is rated for...
pugmark
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™