putting outlet into brick

homeimprovementdivaOctober 6, 2009

we just bought a house and want to put our tv over the fireplace like we had at our old house but this one has brick from floor to ceiling. Is it possible to put an electrical outlet into the brick?

We haven't moved in yet and I can't remember if there is an outlet close by to run it to but we have a 2yr old boy who is curious about electricity and outlets so we'd rather not go that route if the outlet wouldn't be blocked by furniture or something.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kurto

Yes, it is possible to put an outlet in a brick wall. How difficult that is going to be depends on the specific construction details. For instance, if this is a brick veneer over a hollow interior wall, it's pretty easy to chisel out a brick and put in an outlet. If it's a solid masonry fireplace, the challenge could be considerable.

My recommendation would be to call an electrician and get an estimate.

Bookmark   October 6, 2009 at 9:42AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

homeimprovmentdiva-
If your kid is curious about electricity, you might want to get some safety covers like those shown in the link below. That's what I used for outlets where we were plugging and unplugging things frequently, like the vacuum, or that had something plugged in where the plug was readily accessible. They take about 15 seconds to install. For other receptacles where the plug-ins are rarely or never used, you can buy those push-in caps for about 25 cents apiece, and they are very difficult for a kid (or even an adult) to get out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Safety covers

Bookmark   October 6, 2009 at 12:26PM
More Discussions
Replacing dimmer switch: different wire colors on new switch
My DR lights, which are controlled from two switches,...
msa6
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
Crawl Space Junction Boxes: inspection and capping
Hello. I'm in the process of crawl space improvement....
SparklingWater
Looking for Ideas For Lighting at base of 300' long driveway
Sorry for the "picture through the screen"...
dixieman
Too much load for circuit?
I have 200 amp service to the main panel (which has...
zver11
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™