Light fixture not on breaker

brandyelpOctober 14, 2011

My house was built in 1998 and we have screened in patio. My husband was going to replace the ceiling fan w/ light on the patio. After turning off all the breakers for the house, the fan and light are still on. There is no wall switch for this fixture either, only the pull strings on the fan. We are obviously not going to attempt changing out the fixture ourselves anymore. I am just wondering if there is something I'm missing like another circuit breaker box for outside electricity. If not, where is this electricity coming from? This also seems like a pretty big safety hazard to me. I think we are the second owners of the house, but I'm not sure. Is this something that the builder should address?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Billl

"I am just wondering if there is something I'm missing like another circuit breaker box for outside electricity."

Yes, you are missing something. Your fan is certainly on a breaker. If there is box by the outside meter, check there. If you can't track it down, you'll have to spring for an electrician.

Bookmark   October 14, 2011 at 8:18AM
hendricus

After turning off all the breakers for the house,
Did you also turn off any 240 breakers, the double ones for dryer, stove, AC?

Had the same thing, turn off all the breakers and the lights in the basement family room were still on. Someone tapped one side of the dryer line to power this room.

Bookmark   October 14, 2011 at 2:49PM
brandyelp

The patio electricity is located on another breaker outside the house. It's on the same breaker as the A/C. Thanks for your help.

Bookmark   October 17, 2011 at 9:04PM
kurto

Is the "another breaker outside the house" located in a subpanel? Otherwise, you may have a wiring issue. It would be odd for a subpanel to be installed for an A/C and outside patio, particularly on a relatively new home. It sounds like someone improperly tapped into the A/C circuit for power on the patio. Is the patio circuit protected by GFCI?

Bookmark   October 18, 2011 at 8:56AM
weedmeister

I am reminded of that commercial where the husband asks the wife, "what does this switch do?" and keeps flicking it on and off. Wife says, "I don't know."

Camera goes to the outside where we see the neighbor's garage door opening and closing on his car.

Bookmark   October 19, 2011 at 2:14PM
sbrn33

Yes, you absolutely need an electrician to check this out. More than likely some hack(handyman) hooked into the 240 volt AC line which has no neutral so they probably used the grounding conductor, which is a very dangerous thing.

Bookmark   October 21, 2011 at 11:10AM
More Discussions
Spa Capacitor question
My spa is wired for 220v. The pump motor is rated for...
pugmark
Replacing fan speed dial back to standard toggle?
I am removing a ceiling fan and replacing it with a...
onkyokoi
How to get garage freezer to work in cold weather
I have a 7-year-old GE refrigerator/freezer in my unheated,...
amyf5
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
bold_as_love
Doorbell goes off by itself.
Can anyone tell me why this would happen? It's a wired...
stu2900
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™