Problems with levition tombstones on surface channel fluorescents

spencer_electricianOctober 24, 2013

Thought I'd see if any other electricians have ran across arcing issues in tombstones that have the beloved little wheel in the middle, a levition model. The lights are Hugh Williams. My issue is I've installed 75 8 feet long (4 bulb T8) fixtures in a facility that needs tube guards on the bulbs. We had a few bulbs burn up their ends and determined the bulbs must of not been turned into the socket correctly (the tube guards make it a little tricky to grip the bulb and lock it into the socket. But now we're having handfuls of additional bulbs burning out their end pins from arcing in the connector. It seems that just tapping the bulb in the levition tombstone instantly gets it out of position enough to begin violent arcing. Was using tube guards a bad idea, in terms of causing trouble with the fixture? I'm doubting anything is defective from Leviton but that its more just the nature of that style tombstone. Anyone agree to change them to the type of tombstone that has 2 contacts without any wheel in the middle? Of course I'll have 600 of them to change. Williams didn't quite understand my complaint and mailed out 12 tombstones for the ones that already burnt up. I'm hoping for a fix for all of them get rid of this problem. Thanks so much for any input.

Spencer

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elltwo

I haven't used guards on those lights but I know that HE Williams makes a terrific product. Is there any chance that the guards are just a hair too long and are spreading the tombstones apart? That might yield less contact area and more arcing. (Where's brickeyee when you need him?)

Bookmark   October 24, 2013 at 6:21AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spencer_electrician

HE williams did reply that 3 cases were reported of arcing tombstones. On the 3, tube guards were in use. I think the plastic cap on the tube guard just competes too much with the socket contact.

Bookmark   October 24, 2013 at 8:03PM
More Discussions
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
drmeow3
How to get garage freezer to work in cold weather
I have a 7-year-old GE refrigerator/freezer in my unheated,...
amyf5
Too much load for circuit?
I have 200 amp service to the main panel (which has...
zver11
Doorbell goes off by itself.
Can anyone tell me why this would happen? It's a wired...
stu2900
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
bold_as_love
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™