Wits end trying to figure out a replacement ballast for this

emma823September 28, 2011

I bought a wall sconce online that had it's ballast removed (yes, im not happy about it), and now I need to replace it so that I don't have to pay another $300 for another lamp. Can someone please help me figure out what the appropriate replacement is? I cannot find the same item for sale anywhere. It also seems like the output voltage is incorrect (made in China).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You might need to describe the t5 (14w ?) lamp type. Straight or folded? What length?
The regular t5 14w ballasts are commonly available at electrical supply stores. But you may need one that is long, thin, narrow, and hard to find, that fits within the fixture?
Wouldn't be concerned about the output (striking) voltage very much, once the lamp lights it doesn't matter.

The link in Canada seems to be their last foothold in N.A if it is still open.

Here is a link that might be useful: Landlite contact

    Bookmark   September 29, 2011 at 3:56AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks so much for the reply. It's a lamp that powers single t5 14w lamp. The casing is only like 1" thick and 3" wide, so I think the ballast needs to be 0.75"x6"x2"

    Bookmark   September 29, 2011 at 10:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The output voltage is correct.

That is the kind of voltage you meed to get the arc to form in a florescent light.

They are not classified as 'discharge lighting' for nothing.

    Bookmark   September 29, 2011 at 10:52AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

i see. Do you happen to know what ballast to get? My local hardware shop didn't have the right one. If this matters, the wires on the ballast are:

1 black , 1 white for the power side

1 black, 1 white, 1 red, 1 green on the lamp side

    Bookmark   September 29, 2011 at 2:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

That looks like a custom ballast designed to fit a very specific fixture.

You might be able to find another fixture that uses the same bulb and take the ballast from it.

    Bookmark   September 29, 2011 at 3:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

While I don't quite follow how you bought a lamp without a ballast, but also took a picture of the missing ballast, I'm assuming this is a picture of the one required in your fixture!

A quick check of the UL approval shows the company on the UL website:


Then another search shows the same Canadian website which @laat2 provided:


And then here is their Chinese website homepage (in English):


Contact email for both locations are on each website. I'd probably start with China first - just because I work with Asian manufacturers all the time.

Of course their Canadian office may be able to help as well, so try them both!

    Bookmark   September 29, 2011 at 8:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Will this work for you?


Best I can do without more info on the lamp. Size, shape, number of pins. Pic would be best.

    Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 1:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Any ballast that will run one 14 watt T-5 bulb off 120 V. should do electrically. This is something of an oddball ballast so you'll need to go to an electrical or lighting supply store. A general hardware store won't have this.

    Bookmark   October 10, 2011 at 10:17PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Disposer Power Cord
I recently bought a GE disposal online. The model is...
Installing 220/240V. 50/60Hz appliances from Europe
I hope to install a "Domino" modular system...
Confused & need help please
I know just about zero when it comes to electricity....
Power to shed
Looking to run one 20 amp circuit to my shed and I'm...
Oil in Motor of Ironrite Rotary Iron. what do I do now?
Hi, I just bought an old 1946 Ironrite rotary iron...
Sponsored Products
Office Star Knob Hill Accent Table
Crosley Alexandria 48 in. Corner TV Stand - Black - KF10006ABK
$399.00 | Hayneedle
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: Concord Global Trading Rugs Chester Scroll
$48.97 | Home Depot
Serenity Blackout 84 inch Curtain Panel Pair
Butler Connoisseur's Drum Table 1557090
Beyond Stores
Diggin Active Orbito - 5516334
$21.99 | Hayneedle
Black Serving Spoon
$7.99 | zulily
MILK | Time-Out Table
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™