Wiring of Well pump

cbollingerSeptember 24, 2010

I have a well pump approx 200 feet from my house. I would like to tap off the 240v line to add a 110 outlet. How would I accomplish this

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cbollinger

I think I have answered my question with a little more thinking. Install a separate breaker box in the pump house, then connect the 220v line inside and run a 220v line on a separate breaker, then install several breakers for the 110 line I need. By the way my son-in-law is a licensed electrician and can get all the required components at cost. Thanks

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 11:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

"Install a separate breaker box in the pump house, then connect the 220v line inside and run a 220v line on a separate breaker, then install several breakers for the 110 line I need. By the way my son-in-law is a licensed electrician and can get all the required components at cost."

This still will NOT work.

You need a neutral to get 120 V from a 240 V supply.

If you have a neutral at the pump-house you can put in a sub-panel and get 120 V, but you need to make sure the supply to the pump is not compromised by the 129 V loading.

Without a neutral you need to pull another wire from the house panel to the pump-house.

Bookmark   September 25, 2010 at 10:22AM
More Discussions
Need help Replacing old dimmer that used only 2 wires in a three way
I need advice as to which wire to connect to which...
txmat
Replacing fan speed dial back to standard toggle?
I am removing a ceiling fan and replacing it with a...
onkyokoi
Multiple Fluorescent Ballasts in one light fixture
Hello GardenWeb. I'm not new here, but couldn't log...
MikeM21
ARGH! no boxes
Went over to my daughter's house to help them change...
Ron Natalie
electrical outlet distance to radiator
how far from a radiator should a wall electrical outlet...
amsayan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™