Which of these is less costly?

BarbaravSeptember 1, 2014

We are in the process of moving our kitchen to the opposite end from where it is now. There are 2 existing 220 lines. One where the range was and the other in the ceiling of the basement, right below and left of the new island.
The panel box is in the far left corner in the basement, next to where I want to put the wall oven. The floor joists run parallel to the windows. My question is will it be easier and less costly to put the cooktop or the sink and dishwasher in the new island? Is it a big deal to run the plumbing through the joists to get it to the island? Thanks for any help you can give me. And here is a picture. I hope it helps.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

If you can get to everything from underneath, it's no big thing to relocated the electrical lines. As for moving the plumbing lines, you'd better ask in the plumbing forum, but I don't know why that would be a problem.

Note, with all this renovation, you probably need to bring the kitchen up to code: required small appliance circuits, GFCI protection, etc....

    Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 9:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Hi Ronnatalie, there's a problem getting to it from below. The ceilings downstairs are a finished knotty cypress and I'd prefer they not be cut into. We are redoing the floors as part of this reno and thought we could get to things by cutting into the plywood (hard enough since there are 2layers of 1/2" plywood. Also, I was thinking that because there's a 220 line in the ceiling that was used for power tools right below the island, I was hoping it could be pulled up through the floor. And because the new wall oven is right over the panel box downstairs, it would be fairly easy to thread it through the ceiling. Am I simplifying it too much? Is it harder than it seems? And will this be expensive to carry out?
Also, you're right, there are no GFCI circuits in the kitchen. Are there different ways to install these? It seems to me I had one of these in a bathroom in another house and when it tripped I had the hardest time figuring out how to reset it. Thanks

    Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 10:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

An electrician can tell you how much of the ceiling might need to be cut up or of the wires could be pulled from other positions.

The usual way of doing GFCIs in kitchens is to use a couple of GFCI receptacles (a GFCI receptacle can protected other receptacles connected to it).

Back in the early days of the GFCI requirements, the code allowed all the places that needed GFCI protection then (bathroom, outside receptacles, etc...) to be chained together on a single GFCI which meant typically if it tripped you had to find it (typically in a bathroom somewhere).

    Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 10:45PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Re-wiring range to service spa
what connectors are appropriate for joining 6-3 NMB...
Light boxes on/in 6X8 timber floor joists for log home
Just trying to figure how to wire a couple light fixtures/chandelier...
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
Help with 240V 50A location
I'm trying to do a challenging kitchen layout. I will...
Too much load for circuit?
I have 200 amp service to the main panel (which has...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™