help with Service entrance cable, please

david1217September 15, 2010

I have obtained an electrical permit to update the 60 amp service on this old house. This will be 200 amp service coming from overhead wires. 4/0-4/o-2/o RN SEU Alum was approved by my inspector. This will be in 2" steel galv conduit from the entrance to the meter base socket. I have used the above RN SEU cable befor and it is a bear to strip the outer covering and twist the neutral cable. I found the following cable at a supplier and wonder if I could use this. I talked to my inspector and he said ok if it had the letter (R) in it's discription, well it does but he left on a emergency leave befor I had all of the code from it's lable. Bottom line can I have 3feet of this cable sticking out my weather cap and hooked up by my electric supplier ?

ALCAH W 4/0 AMG AL XLPE 600V USE-2 SUN-RES (UL) May 20,2009

(161 14: 25: 00) This is the code from the wire I would like to use because it has 2-4/o & 1-2/o covered wires that all I would have to do is expose some bare wire and not have to strip or twist any thing. I am conserned about this wires exposure to sunlight and the elements heat, cold. etc.. Thanks for reading this David

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Why would you put cable in conduit?

Use individual wires.

    Bookmark   September 15, 2010 at 9:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

My point brickeyee, I don't want to use a cable, I am asking about the alcah because it is actually 3 seperate wires just sold as all 3 wires at 1 price per foot. Do you know if this is suitable, it is actually 3 seperate wires.

    Bookmark   September 15, 2010 at 10:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Yes, that wire is fine.

    Bookmark   September 16, 2010 at 6:33AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Are you sure it is not marked 'ALCAN'?

I recognize that name.

    Bookmark   September 18, 2010 at 10:20AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Too much load for circuit?
I have 200 amp service to the main panel (which has...
new wiring project
I have a water damaged room I will soon be renovating....
A/C wired to main panel only?
I had 2 electricians come out to bid upgrading my service...
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
Help with 240V 50A location
I'm trying to do a challenging kitchen layout. I will...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™