dining area switches with dimmer working intermittently

dks35September 1, 2013

We got lights in the dining area where switches sometimes work and sometimes don't. I tried to search previous posts but couldn't find anything related since the problem seems like something that was answered before.
Anyway - there are 3 switches that control these 6 recessed lights - by the kitchen bar, by the kitchen door and 3rd one on the wall. The switch by the bar area is a dimmer switch. Everything works fine until the time when lights have been on for a couple of hours and then one switch (bar, with dimmer) takes over the control and lights can only be switched on/off from other switches if the bar switch is in the ON position. It's a Lutron 3-3-way switch DVCL153P. The switch on the wall is a 4-way.
This feels like excessive heat/bad switch issue but I just wanted to get your opinions before pulling the switches out.
thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

If it alternates between working and not working with the time of day, then yes I would suspect the dimmer is the problem. However, I would check well that the connections at the dimmer are secure before replacing the dimmer. The behavior could be explained by a lose connection there as well.

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 7:50AM
dks35

Thanks, ronnatalie. All connections were checked/rechecked - everything seems fine and the lights are working again. We will continue to watch these switches and if intermittent behavior starts again - will start replacing them. Do you think that the dimmer switch is the most likely culprit? Can this be due to faulty 3-way and 4-way switches we have by the door and on the wall? I was thinking start replacing with those two.

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 2:38PM
Ron Natalie

Anything is possible, but heat problems more likely will affect an electronic component rather than purely mechanical switches.

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 3:03PM
More Discussions
How to get garage freezer to work in cold weather
I have a 7-year-old GE refrigerator/freezer in my unheated,...
amyf5
Well this sucks
Just when you thought the idiot popup ads in the gardenweb...
Ron Natalie
Replacing fan speed dial back to standard toggle?
I am removing a ceiling fan and replacing it with a...
onkyokoi
Need help Replacing old dimmer that used only 2 wires in a three way
I need advice as to which wire to connect to which...
txmat
electrical outlet distance to radiator
how far from a radiator should a wall electrical outlet...
amsayan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™