What size transformer do I need?

raljanSeptember 11, 2012

I have a Morris 70332 24V 2A door jamb ball switch and need to get a transformer. What specs do I look for?


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You need to match the transformer to the bell or chime, not to the switch. Most doorbells are 24Volts, but some require a bit more current than others.

    Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 7:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Most door chimes are 16 volts. Older (much older) chimes might be 10 volts.

    Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 10:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

What are you planning to use this for? It's not a doorbell switch. Is it for an alarm system, or just a visitor announce thing?

    Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 2:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Keep in mind if you plan to connect a doorbell to that switch unmodified, it may overheat. Most are not rated for constant use, but as long as the door is open, a "dingdong" doorbell will be energised. You'll hear "ding" but no "dong" until the door closes.

I learned this the hard way, it melted the doorbell a bit. My solution was to connect the bell to a relay, on the normally closed terminals. When the circuit was energised, the relay would open so the chime was really a pulse- very quick, but it was perfect.

    Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 10:58PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Help with 240V 50A location
I'm trying to do a challenging kitchen layout. I will...
Reuse electrical panel
I replaced a 24 circuit Square D panel with a new 40...
Replacing fan speed dial back to standard toggle?
I am removing a ceiling fan and replacing it with a...
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
ARGH! no boxes
Went over to my daughter's house to help them change...
Ron Natalie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™