Equipment Wiring

llerasSeptember 14, 2013

Bought a new jointer for my home shop and rather than re-wire the garage, I've decided I'm going to get a generator instead. I need a generator anyway for on-site work at other locations.

The instructions for the jointer call for an L6-20 plug but all the generators I've seen have L5-30 receptacles. Wondering if there would be any issues with me wiring an L5-30 on the jointer instead so that I can plug it into the generator. The jointer has only 3 wires. Manual says it runs 220V at max 18A... so I'd have 2 hots and a ground?

Thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

Yes, that's not going to work. An L5 is a 120V connection. An L6 is 240V. You need to find a generator that has a 240V out (typically an L14 receptacle is provided in these cases, this is 4 pin 120/240 configuration). Alternatively if you can find one with a 6-20 receptacle (looks like a regular house plug with one blade turned sideways) that will also work.

However, I can't tell you how annoyingly difficult that is going to be. You're going to need at least a 6000W generator and probably more. The starting current on that jointer is going to bog the generator down just at the time the jointer needs it the most and I've seen them never come up to speed in that kind of circumstance.

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 5:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lleras

Thanks for the quick reply.

Okay, so I'm looking at this generator

http://www.amazon.com/DuroMax-XP10000E-Portable-Generator-Electric/dp/B0018C6BDE/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1379193000&sr=8-11&keywords=portable+generator

Has a 14-50 receptacle. So if I buy a 14-50 plug and wire that to the jointer (which has a black, a green, and a white wire)... that would work?

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 5:15PM
More Discussions
Bath fan/light combo
Attached is wiring diagram of masterbath (I hope I...
jaspol
Power to shed
Looking to run one 20 amp circuit to my shed and I'm...
ohio45424
Swimming pool wiring
I have 2 gfci circuits operating two pool pumps. Is...
dalemd88
Code changes
In outlining the electrical layout for our new home,...
mtvhike
Goodbye Phone Jack: what to do with wires?
We want to remove this phone jack. It's in a useless...
maggiepatty
Sponsored Products
Maxim Glimmer 19" Wide Silver Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Tacoma 105 PowerLED 4" Bi-Color Steel LED Marine Light
Lamps Plus
Flos | Light Photon Table Lamp
YLighting
Patio Comfort Vintage Series Portable Patio Heater - PC02CAB
$719.00 | Hayneedle
Halo Recessed Lighting 5 in. White Recessed Lighting Baffle Trim with Reflector
$27.25 | Home Depot