Creative rewiring

gnarlitosSeptember 16, 2013

I need to completely rewire my entire house but can't afford to do it all at once I also have next to no crawl space in the attic and do not want to demo the sheetrock. My questions, can I have the new service run externally (surface mounted) via conduit and boxes like in a commercial space? and can the service be supplies externally from the main supply to each room and then each room have it's own breaker where the service enters from the outside? This way I can wire each room as I can afford and eventually remove all service to the existing fuse box.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

It potentially can be surface wired even without conduit, however, Just because there's no attic/crawl access deosn't mean you have to rip all the drywall out to rewire.

Bookmark   September 16, 2013 at 10:23PM
btharmy

Let me get this straight. You would rather have surface mounted conduits ran all over your house, inside and out, instead of patching a few holes and painting???? Sometimes I am amazed at peoples reasoning. It will look stupid and be an eye sore. You will spend more time painting it to match than you would patching and painting holes.

"can the service be supplies externally from the main supply to each room and then each room have it's own breaker where the service enters from the outside?"

I hope you are not planning on doing this yourself. You obviously don't even have a basic understanding of an electrical system. Get a few prices from recommended local electrical contractors and pick one. Then get pricing from a few painting contractors and pick one to do the repairs. Or patch and paint yourself.

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 11:30AM
saltcedar

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 12:42PM
ionized_gw

Why do you want to re-wire the whole house? Maybe we can talk you out of that.

Maybe an electrician can be interested in doing your work in stages as you have the cash. It might be an attractive proposition for a one-man shop to have a job that can be scheduled in what might otherwise be down time.

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 3:03PM
gnarlitos

The squirrels have chewed almost all the wires in the attic and some in the walls so there is only service to 3 rooms in the entire house. As I live alone, don't entertain and have no plans of selling I don't see why I need to be concerened with the cosmetic aspects plus if there is an issue down the road the walls won't have to be opened up again, the last time i had sheetrock work done it took for ever to get all of the dust out of everything. Also the less contractor the better since I have a history of being taken atvantage of because I know nothing about construction or remodeling, this way I only have to deal with an electrician ( and no I was not planning to do the work myself as one of you so brilliantly deduced I have no knowledge of electical wiring).

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 12:27PM
gnarlitos

Sorry I asked such a stupid question.

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 12:41PM
gnarlitos

Hopefully the admistrator will delete this thread.

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 12:42PM
saltcedar

"The squirrels have chewed almost all the wires in the attic and some in the walls so there is only service to 3 rooms in the entire house"

This is an imminent fire hazard. You need someone to rodent proof this building and an electrician to rewire the damages areas. Your life is in danger.

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 10:57PM
More Discussions
Multiple Fluorescent Ballasts in one light fixture
Hello GardenWeb. I'm not new here, but couldn't log...
MikeM21
Looking for Ideas For Lighting at base of 300' long driveway
Sorry for the "picture through the screen"...
dixieman
Doorbell goes off by itself.
Can anyone tell me why this would happen? It's a wired...
stu2900
new wiring project
I have a water damaged room I will soon be renovating....
CharlesInVT
Ceiling fan wiring
I have a new ceiling fan with a light. The fan has...
jjp2121
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™