order of events

andrelaplume2September 1, 2010

I will soon have my framing done. I will need a series of 8 or so outlets installed. I assume the electrician will run a new wire from the panel. I know this has to be inspected.

Is there one inspection or two or does he just wire everything up and is done then the work is inspected?

This is in a basement.

If at a later date I decide to put in a dropped ceiling and replace the single pull chain bulb fixtures with flourecents and maybe add a few more AND none of this job requires going to the main box; do I need another inspection?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

Depends on the jurisdiction. Some will want to see a rough in, some will want to see a final, some both.

Whether permits are required is also an issue of the jurisdiction. Most places if you ask they will say you need them. Generally, replacing one light fixture with another doesn't required a permit, but coupled with a drop ceiling, your jurisdiction may have other ideas. "Going to the main box" is usually NOT a criteria.

Bookmark   September 1, 2010 at 6:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

Sounds like you'll be adding another circuit or two and I'd guess that most building departments will want a permit and associated fees. Ask about their inspection process.

Typically building permits are issued for a finite period of time based on the scope of the project (and perhaps your input). If you don't complete the project on time you'll be require to reapply and pay another fee (although you can usually ask for an extension). So it would be nice if you could include the receptacles and lighting on the same permit.

Bookmark   September 2, 2010 at 10:51PM
More Discussions
How to get garage freezer to work in cold weather
I have a 7-year-old GE refrigerator/freezer in my unheated,...
amyf5
Light boxes on/in 6X8 timber floor joists for log home
Just trying to figure how to wire a couple light fixtures/chandelier...
yota_85
Crawl Space Junction Boxes: inspection and capping
Hello. I'm in the process of crawl space improvement....
SparklingWater
electrical outlet distance to radiator
how far from a radiator should a wall electrical outlet...
amsayan
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?...
rontero
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™