Commercial/Industrial Ceiling Fan Switch Question

willowbendSeptember 3, 2013

Are all 4 speed ceiling fan switches the same?
I haven't found the answer so I'm reaching out in here.

Background: I have 2 commercial 60" ceiling fans of unknown manufacture (Westinghouse or Emerson or Foreign knock off) and 2 Rhine UC9020 switches that have lasted about 2-3 years before losing the connections to the 2 top speeds.

I've tried emailing and calling a few fan specialty shops, but they either don't know or don't seem to care since I didn't purchase the fan from them.

If I can't clean the switch contacts or whatever and I have to replace them, I want something that will last.
I have no clue if all 4 speed fan switches are the same or if I could go with an industrial rotary dial variable switch.

Without trying to find a VOM or taking apart the fan (20+ feet in the air) to find part numbers, can someone help me?

The fans in question are similar to this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-Industrial-60-in-Indoor-White-Energy-Star-Ceiling-Fan-92856/100015874#.UiYslcU5660

That fan uses a completely different switch, which leads me to ask again, are they all the same?

Thanks in Advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: Fans in Question are similar to this

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jreagan_gw

Looking at a few websites, the Rhine switch obviously sends a different voltage to the fan at each speed setting (I was about to ask about the wiring between the switch and the fan). I think you need a VOM to determine if the switch really isn't doing the right thing at the higher settings or if the fan isn't responding well to the higher voltage output.

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 7:38PM
willowbend

I'm guessing that is a burnt resistor and I'm making the assumption this is the same problem with the other switch. I can't tell the color bands on it, but it looks like a fairly easy solder job if I can figure out what it is supposed to be.

I'll be honest I don't understand how these things work, I can just identify what is there. It looks like there are only resistors and capacitors and this somehow controls the fan speed.

Which still doesn't answer my question.
Are these standard resistances/capacitances for all industrial fan switches?

Can I replace this with any 4 speed switch?

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 12:51AM
oldhousegal

Do you have an electrical supply store in your area? If so, take that in to them and see if anyone there knows what that may be, and a solution to fixing it. I've done that in the past, and all the electricians in the store shopping helped me out and answered my question. It was like a challenge for them, and they all seemed willing to help! Plus if you need a new one, chances are good they will have what you need. Good Luck!

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 10:07AM
bcarlson78248

It may work like the blower motor resistor in a car. On high speed you get full voltage, and the other speeds are set by switching in various resistor values. Since many folks use mostly the lower speeds it often burns up the resistors for those speeds.

The big difference I see (from what is in a car) is that the resistors in a car are mounted so the moving air flows over them. This keeps them cooler and they last longer.

Bruce

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 9:44PM
More Discussions
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
Re-wiring range to service spa
what connectors are appropriate for joining 6-3 NMB...
justsomeotherdude
Well this sucks
Just when you thought the idiot popup ads in the gardenweb...
Ron Natalie
Replacing fan speed dial back to standard toggle?
I am removing a ceiling fan and replacing it with a...
onkyokoi
Replacing dimmer switch: different wire colors on new switch
My DR lights, which are controlled from two switches,...
msa6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™