Electrical Hum from Furnace

grandmumSeptember 9, 2008

You gentlemen are very smart so I wanted to ask another question I have been wondering about.......

Im my furnace room, I can hear humming/buzzing from the furnace when it sits idle. The furnace is new. My sons furnace makes the same noise.

He thought it was a "low voltage transformer" making what he called "60 cycle hum" resonating with the ductwork. He thinks it is normal where I am not to sure... my old furnace at another house didnt make such a noise, or at least not that I noticed.

So my question is, from what I describe, does this hum/buzz from the furance seem normal to you? Does your furnace make such a noise when idle?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grandmum

I wanted to add, the sound is similar to what a fluorescent lightbulb might sound like.

Bookmark   September 9, 2008 at 3:21PM
normel

Your son is correct... it is the low voltage transformer making the noise.

Bookmark   September 9, 2008 at 3:53PM
grandmum

Normel- is that Normal? Or is it indicative of a bad transformer?

Bookmark   September 9, 2008 at 4:13PM
dezwit

It is quite normal.
The transformer is probably not "buzzing", I would guess that it is attcahed to some metal duct work and the vibration of the transformer is causing the buzz.
Have someone move the transformer or remount it with some kind of vibration isolation and the noise will probably disappear or significantly diminish.

Bookmark   September 9, 2008 at 6:51PM
hexus

not to shoot down the transformer idea making the noise, but is your furnace by chance electric?
I myself have an electric furnace in one of my houses that makes a buzzing noise. It comes from one of the double pole breakers in the furnace unit. Some breakers just make a buzzing noise.
I haven't tired replacing the breaker because I don't care that much since the noise isn't that loud and there's no harm from it buzzing at all.

Bookmark   September 9, 2008 at 11:15PM
More Discussions
Doorbell goes off by itself.
Can anyone tell me why this would happen? It's a wired...
stu2900
ARGH! no boxes
Went over to my daughter's house to help them change...
Ron Natalie
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
bold_as_love
Lights Flickering...
We paid an electrician to put in a ceiling light in...
regina_phalange
Spa Capacitor question
My spa is wired for 220v. The pump motor is rated for...
pugmark
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™