LED's hot

marknmtSeptember 2, 2014

I need to know if this is a problem or to be expected.

We just bought a GE 60 watt replacement, 11 watt useage, 800 lumens light bulb at Target. I expected it to run fairly cool, but am surprised at how hot the bottom part of the bulb gets. I was able to gently hold it when I removed it after a few minutes use, but my wife thought it was way too hot.

Please advise, and thank you very much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

Given the low total wattage consumption, I too was surprised at the heat from the driver for the LED. Apparently the present-day LED drivers are extremely heat sensitive, so one might assume that the life of your lamps is being shortened by the heat.
Most such lamps note that they are not for enclosed fixtures.
It would not be surprising if eventual improvements will lessen the heat output and improve the heat tolerance.

Bookmark   September 2, 2014 at 3:04PM
marknmt

The lamp is in an open ceiling fixture, but it's hot enough that I'm thinking about using it elsewhere. The labelling does warn against using in "totally enclosed recessed luminaries" but this fixture is neither. (It's the kind of cheap ceiling light you see in tract and military housing- must be everywhere.)

Bookmark   September 2, 2014 at 3:33PM
bus_driver

It is extremely unlikely that any hazard exists with regard to the heat in your application as it is much cooler than an incandescent.

Bookmark   September 2, 2014 at 3:56PM
marknmt

Thanks, Bus.

Bookmark   September 3, 2014 at 12:46PM
pprioroh

LEDs will burn out (except brand Switch) if placed in enclosed fixture, the drivers will fail. They make less heat but still must radiate and convect it away. They get HOT! if air can circulate they'll be fine, but if it's a glass 1/2 bowl type fixture up against a ceiling they will fail.

Bookmark   September 10, 2014 at 10:31PM
JHZR2

Yes, LEDs like CFLs do get hot. They are far more efficient than incandescent bulbs, but all the same, a few watts of waste dispersed into a solid metal mass can still heat that mass up pretty well!

Bookmark   September 13, 2014 at 1:06AM
More Discussions
Multiple Fluorescent Ballasts in one light fixture
Hello GardenWeb. I'm not new here, but couldn't log...
MikeM21
Ceiling fan wiring
I have a new ceiling fan with a light. The fan has...
jjp2121
Crawl Space Junction Boxes: inspection and capping
Hello. I'm in the process of crawl space improvement....
SparklingWater
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
drmeow3
Wiring Ceiling fan
I have a new ceiling fan with a light. The fan has...
jjp2121
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™