broken breaker

ionized_gwSeptember 12, 2013

I just finished fixing my dishwasher and when I went out to turn the breaker back on, no go. The handle does not feel right. It just flops back and forth with no click stops in either direction.

Where do I start my search for a replacement breaker? (I am hoping to find one somewhere convenient and open late with good prices.) It is an ITE panel chassis number EQ442-42B? Specified breakers seem to be "ITE class N,I, Type EQ-P".

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

Be sure to turn the breaker fully off first. Then attempt to turn it On.
I am not a fan of ITE and their successor Siemens. As far as I know, the present-day QP Siemens breakers will substitute for the EQP. Won't cost you much to find out empirically.
Used EQ breakers are to be found onEbay .
Some say that the Cutler-Hammer BR breakers fit your panel better than the present-day Siemens. C-H is not UL Listed for your panel-- but I would not hesitate if it was mine.
I have not worked on one of those panels, as best I can remember.

This post was edited by bus_driver on Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 12:27

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 4:51PM
ionized_gw

Thanks, I am pretty sure it is FUBAR. The handle just does not feel right throwing it in either direction.

What is the difference between EQ-P and EQ-[anything else]?

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 7:18PM
kudzu9

ionized-
You're sure that you pushed it hard to the off position?

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 12:23PM
Ron Natalie

I had one of those crappy Siemens panels when I moved in. It wouldn't surprise me if the breaker failed. I had one fail in more a more bizarre way. It started flickering the lights and when I touched it, it was hot. I swapped it with a spare one and the problem went away.

New breakers are very dear in price as they're not that common around here. I gave all mine away to the neighbors including a couple of 60 amp ones to those putting in hot tubs after I replaced my panel with a square d.

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 1:20PM
ionized_gw

Yup, I am positive it was bad. It was all wiggley and no click in either direction. The other half of a half-width breaker pair preceeded it witth different symptoms. I looked it over, and then found a full-width 20 A in the gargage. I also looked at what an electrician put in recently for my mini-splits. I am good to go at this point.

The panel is weird. Initially, it looks like a simple main lug 3Ph panel, but the top 6 spaces on both sides are a separate bus. The only way to power both busses is to run wire between them. This panel is powered via three 100 A breakers in line one one side of the buss bars. Then a set of 50 A breakers jumps to the main lugs to power the top part.

The other panel right next to it is also ITE. It looks like it was designed for high leg delta service. It is split bus and looks like several single phase Edison service split box breaker and fuse panels I have seen -- 6 handles up and one powers the lower buss. Here, 4 handles cut off 4, 120/ 240 circuits one of which is a large group (20) of 120/240 in a lower section. Back up top, with the 120/240 slots that are used for the cooktop and oven, there are also two slots for 3 Ph.

Don't worry, I paind attention to hook to the same buss that was in use before and then double checked to be sure it was not the high leg.

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 5:54PM
pharkus

I haven't been in this forum for the last year or two...

ionized was a regular when I was here before.

Do we really have a regular who doesn't know where to buy a circuit breaker?

Not poking fun - just wondering if my memory is deceiving me somehow.

Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 8:52PM
ionized_gw

Yup, same guy, but I have never removed or replaced a breaker before. It seems like the hardest part is finding out what breakers will go in obsolete panels. I guess that an electrical parts house could help me, but they are not open when I am not at work.

Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 11:50AM
bus_driver

So the previous post offering interchange information was just a waste of (my) time?

Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 12:50PM
ionized_gw

Not at all. I think that I will try to pick up 15 and 20A spares. I'll be taking a look at the CH-Siemens comparison.

Thanks

Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 1:40PM
More Discussions
Subpanel Question
I have a 100 amp panel being fed by #4 awg copper wire I...
Calo Renovations
Power to shed
Looking to run one 20 amp circuit to my shed and I'm...
ohio45424
1 of 2 security light bulbs keep going out, do i need a new light?
I have a security light fixture in my carport that...
tlbean2004
Confused & need help please
I know just about zero when it comes to electricity....
bicyclegirl1
Dryer power cord next to vent
My contractor is enlarging the dryer vent hole in the...
phil2015
Sponsored Products
300W 12V Plug In Remote Magnetic Transfomer
Lightology
Westinghouse Ceiling Fans Oak and Walnut Reversible Fan Blades (5-Pack)
$25.77 | Home Depot
LumenAria Modular Cylinder Chandelier by Justice Design Group
$423.00 | Lumens
Kidwise Little Raceway Bounce House - SSD-RACER-03
$369.00 | Hayneedle
White Cottage Bunk Bed & Storage Drawer Set
$849.99 | zulily
Pewter Carrier Sliders For Traverse Rod Set of 10
$6.95 | Bellacor
LumenAria Collection Dakota 9 3/4" High Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
LumenAria Sonoma Cylinder Double Wall Sconce by Justice Design Group