Generator Enclosure

skl727September 30, 2013

Okay, I realize that the construction of this enclosure is a highly guarded state secret. Why is it that your portable generator is to be used when the grid goes down, and give you some semblance of normalcy, but you can't operate it in any of the conditions that would lead to a power failure? Not to be exposed to water, (snow, rain or flood) or when it's too hot or cold or too windy, dusty etc. I am just trying to find out the minimum clearances needed, the right amount of intake air and exhaust air needed for the fans and how to keep the noise down for my neighbors. The sad thing is that I can find multiple references for pot growing intake and exhaust fans with calculations and also many other illegal activities, but can't get the maximum operating temps for generators or what size fans I should use to properly exhaust and cool the unit. Right now I can't believe that this issue isn't something that doesn't have more interest. I know that carbon monoxide is the silent killer that the corporations are hiding behind, but why can't we find the right way to do this? Or is it just my internet searching skills that are lacking?

I am looking to use a free shipping crate of approx 8' l x 5' w x 5' h. I will be trimming the roof to have a reasonable slope and I am looking to place ventilation at each end, along with a 14" sq RV roof vent that will be on the hinged roof. I will also be looking at placing a high temp cutoff (but need to know the temp) for the protection of the genset. I also have 2 12v DC bilge blowers that I want to mount for the intake and exhaust, both are about 220 cfm each. I am thinking that lining the inside with a cement backer board and a good amount of insulation should be adequate. Should I be doing or looking at anything else?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

My portable generator is outside only when actually in use. Any other arrangement will likely prove to be poor. Minimal side enclosure is better.
I salvaged a big sheet metal side panel from an old oil furnace, about 3 1/2' x 4'. 4 legs to hold it up just high enough so that the generator does not touch the panel in any way. Start the generator and then place the panel on the legs for a "roof". Good overhang at the edges. Perfect. If no precipitation, no cover needed.

Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 4:17PM
More Discussions
Two fans on same circuit in different rooms, can't get wiring right
So here's the situation. I have two ceiling fan/lights...
jenfarino
1 of 2 security light bulbs keep going out, do i need a new light?
I have a security light fixture in my carport that...
tlbean2004
Light/Switch wiring
Here is the scenario. Have a kitchen light that needs...
wgl3333
Bath fan/light combo
Attached is wiring diagram of masterbath (I hope I...
jaspol
Goodbye Phone Jack: what to do with wires?
We want to remove this phone jack. It's in a useless...
maggiepatty
Sponsored Products
Dreamline Elegance 34 in. D x 32 in. W x 72 in. H Frameless Pivot Shower Enclosu
Overstock.com
Woodbridge Lighting Basic 1-light Black Outdoor Wall Light
Overstock.com
King 590TC Fitted Sheet - WHITE
$390.00 | Horchow
Scottish Terrier Ornament
$46.50 | FRONTGATE
Copa Satin Nickel One-Light Incandescent 120v Mini Pendant with Flat Canopy and
$166.50 | Bellacor
Twin 200TC Flat Sheet - WHITE
$95.90 | Horchow
Lismore Champagne Flute