House Ground

mxyplxSeptember 18, 2012

Well I've read a lot of posts on the search section but just to double check here goes tho I think I know the answer.

What I think is the ground wire for the house built in 1981, California, is attached to a hose bib which used to have copper pipe running into the ground. That is no longer the case as it is now PVC running down into the ground. That is the only ground I have ever found in all these years. It is clamped on with a bolt type clamp. I know damn well the original construction electrician was beaned up. Supposedly he was a good man but beaned is beaned.

I also remember requesting the house be grounded to a copper stake. Never saw one. Lots to check when you have a house built and some stuff just gets away.

Will re-attaching that wire to a copper pipe drove into the ground do the job? Be legal? Should I call a pro?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alan_s_thefirst

No, no and yes. It shouldn't cost a lot to get someone to check and see what's required.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 2:55PM
mxyplx

Won't do. Thot so. Will do.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 4:36PM
brickeyee

A metal water line is still required to be used as an electrode if it is present and long enough, but has been required to be supplemented by another made electrode for a long time.

If you do NOT have a metal water line that is suitable (10 fet in contact with the earth) then you have to install TWO made electrodes.

Rods are still very common.

Under limited circumstances you can use s single electrode (you have to show it is 25 ohms to the earth or less).

The problem is that the test requires you to drive another electrode.

If you have driven two electrodes you do not have to measure anything (or you could pull the second one).

Why bother?
Job done with the second electrode.

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 3:10PM
mxyplx

Lectrishn checked it out today. All OK and legal. Glad I didn't mess with it. Cost was nominal.

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 12:16AM
More Discussions
Doorbell goes off by itself.
Can anyone tell me why this would happen? It's a wired...
stu2900
Spa Capacitor question
My spa is wired for 220v. The pump motor is rated for...
pugmark
electrical outlet distance to radiator
how far from a radiator should a wall electrical outlet...
amsayan
ceiling fan, fan works but lights do not
I have 2 kids and one threw a toy that hit one of the...
katy_bug
How to get garage freezer to work in cold weather
I have a 7-year-old GE refrigerator/freezer in my unheated,...
amyf5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™