Does quad electrical outlet require more wiring than a duplex?

kaysdSeptember 25, 2012

Our building plans call for a duplex receptacle in a media closet. The electrician suggested upgrading to a quad, even though we plan to use a surge suppressor power strip. I assumed there would be a small additional parts charge to buy a quad outlet rather than a duplex, but it looks like it costs between $20 and 30 for a quad even without the credit back for the duplex.

We just received a change order for $140. Is there actually more work and/or wiring required to install a quad outlet? I want to make sure I understand what is involved before I question the GC about the charge. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greg_2010

If it's on the same circuit, then it's just a bigger box, a bigger faceplate and another duplex receptacle to mount beside the first one. A few bucks more in actual material costs. Totally useless if you are going to be using a power strip anyways. If this is the case, what benefit did the electrician tell you it would give you?

If they ran another circuit there (ie. one duplex is on one circuit, the other duplex is on another circuit) then that would be more expensive and could potentially be useful.

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 1:34PM
westom

Additional receptacles is encouraged in media closets. Especially when a risk of fire in that closet is reduced. The price increase sounds rather excessive if not a customized job.

Since the electrician is there, also have installed the only protector necessary for protection from destructive surges. A 'whole house' protector. That means superior protection AND for maybe tens or 100 times less money.

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 10:37AM
greg_2010

Additional receptacles is encouraged in media closets. Especially when a risk of fire in that closet is reduced

Can you explain your reasoning that more receptacles would mean less fire risk?

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 10:59AM
brickeyee

"the only protector necessary for protection from destructive surges. A 'whole house' protector."

Point if use protection is still recommended, especially for expensive equipment.

It is called 'protection in depth' since surges can be induced after a whole house protector.

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 11:53AM
kaysd

Thank you all for responding. I asked my GC about the upcharge, and it turns out he did not notice the outlet in that closet on the plans, so he had charged us for the whole outlet. He is not going to charge us anything for the upgrade to quad now.

We are waiting for a quote for a whole house surge protector, but still plan to use surge suppressor power strips for computers, TVs and related equipment.

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 4:06AM
More Discussions
Power to shed
Looking to run one 20 amp circuit to my shed and I'm...
ohio45424
Badly done multi-wire circuits (previous owner strikes again..)
I bought a 1940-ish house last year, for which the...
quahog
Swimming pool wiring
I have 2 gfci circuits operating two pool pumps. Is...
dalemd88
Confused & need help please
I know just about zero when it comes to electricity....
bicyclegirl1
1 of 2 security light bulbs keep going out, do i need a new light?
I have a security light fixture in my carport that...
tlbean2004
Sponsored Products
Trans Globe 4502 Coach Lantern - 7.75W in. - 4502 RT
$47.99 | Hayneedle
Hearth Rectangular Braided Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Parkview 5Lt Chandelier a Russet Bronze
PLFixtures
Knape & Vogt Organization & Storage 3.25 in. x 9 in. x 21.5 in. Basket BP9-FN
$19.52 | Home Depot
Dimond Lighting D1475 Avon Chrome Table Lamp
Littman Bros Lighting