knob and tube wiring and insulation
Would you electricity experts comment on this situation: our 100-year-old house has had a fair amount of updating done for its electrical system (new box and breakers, a fair amount of rewiring as the kitchen and bathrooms were remodeled), but I am certain that knob and tube wiring still is in use. When we bought the house an electrician advised us not to worry about it, and said it is not hazardous. But now we are considering different ways of insulating the house (a wooden frame stucco house with a vented attic, last insulated in the 1930s I'll bet, with rockwool), and I see that there are potential hazards with different sorts of insulation when one has knob and tube wiring. What would you recommend?
In our climate, blown cellulose has been recommended. Another option would be to blow foam in to the walls from holes on the outside, since we are planning to paint the house next year and could skim coat the holes in the stucco. But now I'm worried about this knob and tube issue. Thanks in advance for your advice.