Testing New Construction Wiring

fecollierSeptember 6, 2010

Just finishing wiring up my new construction house and want to test my circuits before buttoning up the walls. Any tips or tricks that will save me time other than powering everything and testing with a meter? What do you pros normally do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

I don't test anything. Your pre-drywall wiring shouldn't have any faults unless you did something really stupid. Most faults occur at the terminations (which you should not have been doing yet) or by some other trade drilling through (which will likely happen after this testing).

Bookmark   September 6, 2010 at 1:38PM
petey_racer

Same here.
It would be extrmely rare that a pro "tests" his wiring prior to the walls being closed up.

Bookmark   September 6, 2010 at 2:15PM
bus_driver

I do test. Takes more time than I like, but occasionally finds a problem. Drunken insulation installer stapled the fiberglass bat flanges to the side of the studs at the request of the GC since the drywall was to be both screwed and "glued". The sot drove several staples into the NM cable with his spring-powered stapler. The insulation company paid me for the correction. I power the conductors with a 60 watt incandescent in series. Puts full voltage on the conductors but does not cause arcing of significance if there is a problem. If the lamp lights, it indicates a ground fault.

Bookmark   September 8, 2010 at 5:38PM
grantrobarts

I don't test outlet wiring, but I like to check lighting circuits. I have forgotten to hook up a connection in a box on a recessed can before. If I had not found that, I would have been tearing into drywall after because of the location the can was in, I could not get to it from the attic.

But then again... I'm not a pro =)

Bookmark   September 9, 2010 at 5:47AM
petey_racer

Grant, a pro would have known that you can remove the can from below to get at the junction box. ;)

Bookmark   September 9, 2010 at 6:37AM
grantrobarts

A new construction can? I can't see how I can do that. hmmmmm I have used Commercial Electric and HALO cans.

Bookmark   September 9, 2010 at 12:41PM
Ron Natalie

Yes, a new construction can. It has to be removable or else the installation would be in most cases illegal as the junction box has to be accessible. Generally, you have to bend some tabs to release the can from the mount and then it pulls down through the hole allowing you to reach the junction box.

Bookmark   September 9, 2010 at 1:26PM
More Discussions
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
bold_as_love
Light boxes on/in 6X8 timber floor joists for log home
Just trying to figure how to wire a couple light fixtures/chandelier...
yota_85
Spa Capacitor question
My spa is wired for 220v. The pump motor is rated for...
pugmark
ARGH! no boxes
Went over to my daughter's house to help them change...
Ron Natalie
Need help Replacing old dimmer that used only 2 wires in a three way
I need advice as to which wire to connect to which...
txmat
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™